Return to Main NewsLeecher Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuperSearch Usage Guide
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NewsLeecher Forum Index -> SuperSearch Search Service
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiril
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: SuperSearch Usage Guide Reply with quote

SuperSearch is a usenet search engine service, that works from inside NewsLeecher. The search service automatically indexes most of the contents posted to the usenet and makes it fast and easy for users to find and download contents without browsing any usenet groups. To see an image of the powerful SuperSearch robot that indexes and serves thousands of users, realtime, click here.

Q: I can see that there are 3 search categories. What's the difference?
A: The three search categories are 'Images', 'Audio' and 'General'.

Images: If you search for picture files, such as jpegs, gifs, pngs, etc, you should use this category.
Audio: If you search for audio files, such as wav, mp3, etc, you should use this category.
General: If you search for non picture/audio files, such as rar, exe, etc, you should use this category.

Remember to choose the correct category before searching, or you might not get the wanted results.

Q: How should I search, if I, for example, want pictures of the Mercedes SLK car?
A: For pictures, select the 'Pictures' category, and enter "mercedes slk" (without quotes) into the searchbox.
SuperSearch uses full word-wildcard searching, and will return hits for all usenet picture entries containing the word 'mercedes' *and* the word 'slk'.

This includes:

* Hit: Mercedes Slk
* Hit: SLK mercedes
* Hit: MercedesSLK
* Hit: SLKMercedes
* Hit: Here is a picture of my Mercedes 500 SLK...
* Hit: laksdjfMErCEdessdfsSlkDSFA
etc ...

Q: What if I want to search for Mercedes *except* the SLK model?
A: To exclude keyword, such as 'SLK', using the minus (-) character.

* Like: Mercedes -SLK

Q: What if I want to search for the *exact* string "Mercede SLK"?
A: To make an exact string search, use the quote " character.

* Like: "Mercedes SLK"

Q: What if I want to search certain group?
A: You can use the group: option for this.

* Like: Mercedes group:pictures

This will search for articles with mercedes in the subject line in all groups with the word pictures in the group name.

Note: This will not override the category, so searching for pictures in the general category will not give you results from the picture category.

Q: What if I want to search for posts from a certain poster?
A: You can use the poster: option for this.

* Like: Mercedes poster:mercfan

This will search for articles with mercedes in the subject line posted by someone with mercfan in their name.

Q: How can I search a specific range of days?
A: To set the minimum article age for returned articles, you can now use the new "MinDays" property. The max age can be set using the new "MaxDays" property, or by using the usual days dropdown menu in NewsLeecher.

Example Search:
Mercedes minDays:10 maxDays:40
The above example will return all articles posted between 10 and 40 days ago, matching the *mercedes* keyword.

Q: How can I search a specific file size range?
A: You can use the minKB: and maxKB: properties. This will search for files of specific sizes in kilobytes

Example Search:
Mercedes minKB:1024 maxKB:12000

Capitalization:
SuperSearch searches are NOT case sensitive. All letters, regardless of how you type them, will be understood as lower case. For example, searches for mercedes slk, Mercedes SLK, and mErCeDeS sLk will all return the same results.

Automatic "and" queries:
By default, SuperSearch only returns hits that include all of your search terms. There is no need to include a plus sign ("+") in front of the terms. Keep in mind that the order in which the terms are typed will NOT affect the search results. To restrict a search further, just include more terms. For example, to search for pictures of Mercedes cars, simply type mercedes .jpg. Remember to select the correct search category before searching.

True wildcard searching:
SuperSearch uses true wilcard for the search terms. If you search for ikin abe, SuperSearch will perform a search for *ikin* *abe*, and will match "Babe in Bikini", "Bikini Babe", "AbeInBikini", etc.

Phrase searches:
Sometimes you'll only want results that include an exact phrase. In this case, simply put quotation marks around your search terms, like "mercedes slk".

Negative terms:
If you want to exclude a specific work or sentence, you can put a minus sign ("-") in front of term. By doing this, only hits without the excluded term(s) will show up.

Note: when you include a negative term in your search, be sure to include a space before the minus sign.

Output: All subjects with the word "mercedes" in it.

Input: +mercedes
Output: Same as above.

Input: mercedes slk
Output: All subjects with the word "mercedes" AND the word "slk" in it. The new thing here, is that it's not an "exact string" search, so subjects like "slk model - mercedes.jpg" will also hit on this searchstring.

Input: mercedes -slk
Output: All subjects with the word "mercedes", *not* containing the word "slk".

Input: "mercedes slk"
Output: The quotes mean exact string matching. Just like the old SuperSearch did it.

Last edited by Spiril on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rambitology

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new powerful search capabilities are outstanding. Lookin' very good!

In the example,
Quote:
mercedes slk -.bmp "carshow 2006" -re group:pictures group:images poster:jpgPoster
...does the part I bolded mean that no words containing "re" anywhere in them will be included, or just where "re" is by itself as a "word"? Would it exclude words like "are", "there", and such?
Eraserhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: SuperSearch Usage Guide Reply with quote

Spiril wrote:
To see an image of the powerful SuperSearch robot that indexes and serves thousands of users, realtime, click here.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
that is really impressive Very Happy
dwazegek
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SuperSearch Usage Guide Reply with quote

Eraserhead wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing
that is really impressive Very Happy
No, it's Robby the Robot. Wink
Rambitology

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it exclude words like "are", "there", and such?
Or is it recognized by SuperSearch to avoid reply entries starting with "Re:"? That may be worth adding as a checkbox.
Rambitology

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the example Spiril posted,
Quote:
mercedes slk -.bmp "carshow 2006" -re group:pictures group:images poster:jpgPoster
...does the part in bold mean that no words containing "re" anywhere in them will be included, or just where "re" is by itself as a "word"? Would it exclude words like "are", "there", and such?
dwazegek
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambitology wrote:
In the example Spiril posted,
Quote:
...does the part in bold mean that no words containing "re" anywhere in them will be included, or just where "re" is by itself as a "word"? Would it exclude words like "are", "there", and such?
It would remove every article containing re, so "there" would also be filtered.
Probably a better way would be to use -re:, although this still isn't completely fool-proof.
Rambitology

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwazegek wrote:
It would remove every article containing re, so "there" would also be filtered.
Probably a better way would be to use -re:, although this still isn't completely fool-proof.
Thanks! I thought that was the case -- so it seems odd to have such a broad exclusion in the example. Oh well. Smile
eriji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: _Underscore_ in target header fails search Reply with quote

It seems that there is a problem with the search where if there is an _underscore_ character separating elements of the header, then SuperSearch will not return results.

For example:
in the group alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks.highspeed there exists a header that contains the string:

Richard_P_Feynman_-_Caltech_CD1-_Adventures_of_a_Curious_Character

When you do a SuperSearch on any part of this, you get no results.

Search for [ Feynman ] yeilds no results
[ Caltech ] yeilds no results
[ adventures ] yeilds no results
[ _caltech_ ] yeilds no results

etc etc etc

of course the [ ] characters are only used in the above examples for clarity, I would never use them in an actual search. `-)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is fixed, because it does return results on my computer. I had category audio selected for this. The post is about 20 days old.

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.
eriji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Not Fixed Reply with quote

I just did the search again, using two search terms:

[ feynman ] and
[ caltech ]

The feynman search returned results, just not the ones I was referring to which have _feynman_ in the subject.

The caltech search returned no results at all

I am using 3.5 Beta 2, my search includes records to 80 days old, all the other filters on the search are null.

I am subscribed to the group a.b.mp3.audiobooks.highspeed and the posts in question show up there

If I do a search using UseNeXT explorer, then I get results with their database and engine.

Yes that is correct, the posts are from 06Jan. What did you use as a search term?

--e
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eriji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: My Error? Reply with quote

I just reread the previous post and realized that you said you had the category "audio" selected.

I did not.

I selected the category audio and it did return results.

Hmmmm.

I don't remember making this distinction before and having it matter, in fact, I remember doing some searches to see if category made a difference and I thought it didn't.

Oh well. Maybe some food for further developmental thought.

Thanks!
--e
Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the searches you made were for posts crossposted between f.e. audio and general groups. When searching for sound, selecting the audio category makes a substantial difference, as you have noticed. Wink

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.
Spiril
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick notice:

The SS indexer has just begun (4-5 days ago) to merge the 'Audio' and the 'General' categories to make the searching less complicated. All new audio articles will be placed in the 'General' main category.

I haven't made the merge official yet, because I still need to see how the SS engine handles the load from the merged categories. But everything seems to work good so far.

Cheers
haldol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiril wrote:
Just a quick notice:

The SS indexer has just begun (4-5 days ago) to merge the 'Audio' and the 'General' categories to make the searching less complicated. All new audio articles will be placed in the 'General' main category.

I haven't made the merge official yet, because I still need to see how the SS engine handles the load from the merged categories. But everything seems to work good so far.

Cheers

Really: why do you wanna do that? The seperate categories were very handy. And you did that without even putting it on the frontpage? I thought ss was broken or something. You could at least have created a topic about it. And what's the use of the different category buttons now?
It really puzzles me why you wanna delete such a nice feature. I know a lot of people use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NewsLeecher Forum Index -> SuperSearch Search Service All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: