Newsleecher V8 Beta Release - Timeline

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.

Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Argonaute

Re: Newsleecher V8 Beta Release - Timeline

Post by Argonaute » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 am

cheezhed wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm
That's great but for us neophytes how do I use the script?
Argonaute wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm
For those who are using Newsleecher v7 with a product like NZBdrone, you can use the following powershell script to unobfuscate the downloaded files.
You must configure Newsleecher to copy and keep the nzb files to a protected location and the folders variables, and perhaps the files extensions, in the header of the script :

-BEGIN-

$ROOT_PATH="D:\DOWN\"
$MKV_PATH=$ROOT_PATH+"Extractions\"
$NZB_PATH=$ROOT_PATH+"Imported\"
$MKV_SPEC="*.mkv"
$NZB_SPEC="*.nzb"

function Get-Filename
{
Param(
[parameter(mandatory=$false)]
[string]$Filespec = ".\*.nzb",
[parameter(mandatory=$true)]
[string]$Pattern
)

$FileInfo = Get-ChildItem -Recurse $Filespec | Where-Object { Select-String $Pattern $_ -Quiet }
if([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($FileInfo) -eq $false) {
$RetValue = $FileInfo.Name.Remove($FileInfo.Name.LastIndexOf('.'))
} else {
$RetValue = $null
}
$RetValue
}

$MkvFilesSpec = $MKV_PATH+$MKV_SPEC
$NzbFilesSpec = $NZB_PATH+$NZB_SPEC

$MkvFiles = Get-ChildItem -Path $MkvFilesSpec

foreach($File in $MkvFiles) {
$FoundFileName = $null
$ParentFilePath = Convert-Path($File.PSParentPath)
$OriginalFileName = $File.Basename
$FoundFileName = Get-Filename -Filespec $NzbFilesSpec -Pattern $OriginalFileName
if([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($FoundFileName) -eq $false) {
[string]$NewFileName = $ParentFilePath+"\"+$FoundFileName+$File.Extension
$NewFileName
$File.MoveTo($NewFileName)
}
}

-END-
Copy the text between -BEGIN- and -END- in a new textfile saved as a .ps1 file.
This become a Powershell script. Powershell is the new version of the command prompt since Windows 7.

In the execute part of the Windows menu if you use Windows 7 or in search part of windows 10 enter the following commands :
powershell.exe

This command open a Windows which look like a command prompt, enter the following :

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

In notepad open the .ps1 you created ion the first step, change the values after the '=' sign of the folders variables $MKV_PATH and $NZB_PATH where the mkv files are extracted after unrar and where nzb files are saved like this :

$MKV_PATH="C:\NEWSLEECHER\EXTRACTED\" # Put here the folder where newsleecher extract the downloads and don't forgot the '\' at the end of it.
$NZB_PATH="C:\NEWSLEECHER\NZB\" # Put here the folder where newsleecher save the nzb files it found in the automatic download function and don't forgot the '\' at the end of it.

save your changes and run the script using :

cd <The folder where you saved the ps1 script>
.\<The name of the script>.ps1

And it's done, you got the renamed mkv unobfuscated files.

-

cheezhed

Post by cheezhed » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Thank you!

cheezhed

Post by cheezhed » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:00 am

Scuba beta or final? When?

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 am

prob. never..

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 am

"On a different node, we expect the first beta release of NewsLeecher V8.0 to be out within the next couple of weeks time."
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

Fixxxer

Post by Fixxxer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:58 pm

Shalom2010 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 am
"On a different node, we expect the first beta release of NewsLeecher V8.0 to be out within the next couple of weeks time."
Interesting, because someone told me that there was a beta v8 release in one of the newsgroups.
how much is certain that this a legal version?

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:28 pm

A few week have passed....
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

tvr4ever

Post by tvr4ever » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Yep saw the 8 beta in the newsgroups also, when NL takes to long I will try that

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34 pm

prob. a leaked and hacked version..
it's a shame that the users here cannot get it, and it's out there

Antonin

Post by Antonin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:48 pm

A legitimate beta version should be posted on the software section of this site, as has always been the case in the past. Otherwise, any suggestion by the admins that a beta exists is fake news. Personally, I doubt we'll ever see one.

Voyager2k

Post by Voyager2k » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am

I've been a loyal customer since the very early days of NL. Always rooted for the program, always been content and pantient when Spiril dropped of the face of the planet for extended times again and again in the middle of development. At the end of the day, he was on top of things and got stuff done. NL quickly became the best of it's kind (imho WAY more user friendly than Newsbin) and defended that position ....... until Usenet changed.

Today, as far automated downloading goes, NL is borderline useless without help. Supersearch is skipping so many "important" groups that it is easily outperformed by index sites like nzbindex or newzleech. Not to mention public (and more so private) Indexers.

Of course one can use one of the many Sickbeard forks or Sonarr to provide automated NZB downloading. But you still end up with obfuscated files in most cases these days. That is, IF NL can manage to download and par whatever it is you're downloading. Over the past 12 months posts to Usenet have become so incredibly garbled and messed up (on purpose obviously) that NL simply cannot make sense of many posts or the par files anymore and you end up with a dumpster of garbadge files that require a TON of manual work to fix, IF you can fix them.

Personally I switched to SabNZB + SickSomething a couple years ago since it could do what NL couldn't anymore and with the lack of visible development and proper communication I fixed the problem that began to materialize by switching to a different Software.

I kept paying for NL though. I used it as "backup" when I needed some queue micro management and I used supersearch a lot. Not anymore though. Superseach is now, due to posts being obfuscated and garbled, pretty much useless. Today, NL is no more than a luxury usenet browser. And I am still paying for it.

Looking at the forum and this thread in particular I begin to doubt if continued support of NL after like ..... dunno, Spiril, how long has it been ? 15+ years ? Well, I do wonder if it's time to finally move on.

All I see here is promises of new releases and major rewrites and a forum mod who's trying his best to keep ppl calm. But that is all, just words.

Fact of the matter is NL is no longer able to do it's advertised job: automated downloading ..... and that is what I am paying for. It hasn't been able to do this properly for far too long and I (and many others like me I assume) have been way too patient and forgiving. The way I see it Spiril has (likely repeatedly) disappeared like he has so many times in the past and that may very well be why there is no visible progress.

Since there has been another recent and public promise of a new version on the NL page and since I just paid for another month I'll wait this month and by the beginning of May I will cancel my subscription for good after being a paying customer pretty much since the day you could pay money for NL. I suggest you folks do the same because that is ultimately the only wakeup call they will hear.

Best Regards

-V

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Well said, I have also been waiting & commenting here over the past few years. But cancelled sometime ago. It's a shame because the interface of NL is really nice, but these days I'm using newsbin plus and a indexer/SABNZB.

Promises that don't materialize = hot air :(

The last 'Annoucement' on 15th March said a beta will be here for us 'within the couple of weeks' , I think that means two weeks. It's now nearly four weeks!!! I'm not going to comment here again unless it's to give feedback on the new NL8.
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

Fixxxer

Post by Fixxxer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:24 pm

I Don't know why this couldn't be released?
Testing it for 2 weeks now and had only 1 bug/error.
set it free and see what nice it could become.

pka4916

Post by pka4916 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:55 pm

you post it Fixxxer, where did you get it from?

cheezhed

Post by cheezhed » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:12 am

wtf