new beta version of newsleecher keeps freezing

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

MommyBear

new beta version of newsleecher keeps freezing

Post by MommyBear » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:46 pm

I am running the latest version of newsleecher and i find it has started to freeze at the end of each file, :oops: for at least a minute sometimes two, or if i try and do a super search, my downloads have now started to take forever! :cry: but i dont seem to be suffering from the same problem everyone else is suffering from, ie high cpu usage, any ideas :?:
thanks

mudone11

Re: new beta version of newsleecher keeps freezing

Post by mudone11 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:34 pm

MommyBear wrote:I am running the latest version of newsleecher and i find it has started to freeze at the end of each file, :oops: for at least a minute sometimes two, or if i try and do a super search, my downloads have now started to take forever! :cry: but i dont seem to be suffering from the same problem everyone else is suffering from, ie high cpu usage, any ideas :?:
thanks
Please turn on detailed logging in the option menu and post a part of the log here!
Cheers Mudone
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:27 pm

mudone11 wrote:
MommyBear wrote:I am running the latest version of newsleecher and i find it has started to freeze at the end of each file, :oops: for at least a minute sometimes two, or if i try and do a super search, my downloads have now started to take forever! :cry: but i dont seem to be suffering from the same problem everyone else is suffering from, ie high cpu usage, any ideas :?:
thanks
Please turn on detailed logging in the option menu and post a part of the log here!
Cheers Mudone
Also, MommyBear, which av software are you running? Is Panda, Avast! or Norton Internet Security involved? Which firewall?
Anyways, if you are running av software try disabling it and see if there is a change. You can also try the same with your firewall if the av isn't the cause.
Has there been any change to your system that coincides with the problem?
Which newsserver(s) are you using?

--
Lips

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:54 pm

thanks
Could be a badly fragmented drive if it is pausing at the end of each file. We have seen instances (myself included) where large files (~50MB) can cause the system to appear to freeze and become un-responsive when it finishes downloading the file. This is because it is combining all the parts together and then writes the single file to the hard drive. The problem is compounded by fragmented hard drives and if your download directory is on a different partition/drive from where the NL cache is.

techfuzz