8.0b4 - Could not create destination folder

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
mattd

8.0b4 - Could not create destination folder

Post by mattd »

Hi all,

All I am trying to do is extract the archive under the same folder that the download was created.

However, I keep getting could not create destination folder - what do I put in the extraction target to make it extract to the same folder?

nurbles

Re: 8.0b4 - Could not create destination folder

Post by nurbles »

This is probably unrelated, but I have noticed that the some of the unscrambled folder and file names are VERY LONG, sometimes beyond what is allowed for a normal path/file string. Maybe someone could come up with some sort of rule/pattern based system that would allow us to "explain" how we would like them shortened by NL?

On Windows a normal path like

Code: Select all

D:\longpath\longfile.longext
cannot exceed 260 characters including the drive letter. If the program uses path names like

Code: Select all

\\?\D:\longpath\longfile.longext
then the limit changes to about 32K.

I have found that other tools (like WinRar) often have the same problem extracting to the same target filename/path, so this isn't only an NL thing. The ones that accept the \\?\ syntax will extract anything, but then the long path is very difficult to access and work with (SUBST can be your friend here to replace part of the long path with a drive letter, when possible)

Mibbler

Post by Mibbler »

I too have seen the "Could not create destination folder" error. Currently using 8.0b5ufr2. The problem I see is that NL tries to name the folder with the entire subject line. If the subject line has a description and a title, with the title in quotes, that will prevent the folder name. There might be other disallowed characters in the description as well.

For example, one poster uses a subject line like:
[ 19091922 ] - "19091922"
The number is fake but similar to the poster's normal naming system. Of course that folder can't be created. The folder name should be just the number.

BTW, all of these posts are encrypted, but the password is the file name, which is why it would be good for NL to introduce a password function that could include variables such as file and poster names and the ability to edit those strings. But that's a separate issue.
Del Mibbler

Mibbler

Post by Mibbler »

I did a bit more research and found that the file naming error above was introduced in nl80004.ufr3 (12/09/2019). nl80004.ufr2 (12/08) uses just the title for the destination folder, as it should. That's between official betas 3 (12/05) and 4 (12/15). The error has continued through nl80005.ufr2, the latest I'm aware of.

BTW, if you right-click on the error line in Unpacker and choose to change the destination folder, the default it offers is still the entire subject line but without the quotes. That makes the folder name legal (unless there are other illegal characters) but it's still not what it should be.
NL8b4-ufr5.jpg
NL8b4-ufr5.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
Del Mibbler

TheSiege

Post by TheSiege »

Also just ran in to the file name too long issue.