V7 Beta 9 Repair and Extract - Crash on Combine Splits of certain archives

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Narris

V7 Beta 9 Repair and Extract - Crash on Combine Splits of certain archives

Post by Narris » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 am

Certain Archives are not being combined/repaired properly, and are causing an error before the file is completely downloaded. This is reproducible today.

I had to do some digging and sampled multiple archives and found it reproducible 100% with an article posted today. Sorry it took me awhile to figure this out.

[HorribleSubs] Ushio to Tora - 21 [720p] - "[HorribleSubs] Ushio to Tora - 21 [720p]" by poster Ishouni

When adding the par file to repair and extract in any order will cause repair and extract to crash with the following

Bug ID:
14c10x07y

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00A196D4 in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000000

Having this archive in the repair tab will cause newsleecher R/E module to crash 100% even on restart.

This crash makes Repair/Extract non functional after occurring.

This is new in Newsleecher 7. Beta 9

I have confirmed this bug with other hardware.
I have confirmed this bug with other users.
Last edited by Narris on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timbo

Re: V7 Beta 9 Repair and Extract - Crash on Combine Splits of certain archives

Post by Timbo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Same issue:

Bug ID:
14c10x07y

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00A196D4 in module 'newsLeecher.exe'. Read of address 00000000

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:35 pm

I should have learned my lesson and kept a copy of the last beta that worked for me as the "old" archive appears down.

Narris the nl70008.ufr2.exe referenced below is still available and worked for me.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26022

Eric10301

Post by Eric10301 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:37 am

Newleecher has had problems with par slit posts since v7 was introduced. I've given Spiril tons of examples but it always gets broken every other beta.

Tuinpad

Post by Tuinpad » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Newsleecher don't support Multipar, it is used more often than the old par2.

If you start multipar manual then you will see that many rar files will be repaired..

LordCrc

Post by LordCrc » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:25 pm

This is bugging me too. Worked fine for me in v7b8, but b9 gives this error on every single one :(

Narris

Post by Narris » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:58 pm

@Timbow - thanks for taking it on yourself to find a working version for people that don't want to run into latest bugs.

@lordCRC - incase you need it http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr2.exe -thank timbow.

@Tuinpad - the client needs to support par files in way that does not make the program unstable. Even if this is a non popup box error or status saying it's unable to repair a file. Also this bug is 'new'. Even if it came back up from fixing other bugs or a new version change.

@All - I started this push with critical bugs at near 100% reproduction rate so that the latest final release would be as issue free for us all. Others would of found these, but we've had these legacy issues for far too long. So anyone that replies and confirms the bugs in any of the reports or better gives even more detail; Thank you.

I feel as Testers, 7.0 final should be as popup box error free as possible for the following. 1) Downloading new headers 2) Adding or removing items from the Queue without corruption or error. 3) Repair and extract can take 95% of archives and handle them without error or client becoming disabled/requires restart.

This is doable if we push at the bugs, and communicate the issues accurate enough here to reproduce them on our clients so the Dev can fix it. The more people that confirm an issue; the higher attention it sometimes gets.

LordCrc

Post by LordCrc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:36 am

Narris wrote:@Timbow - thanks for taking it on yourself to find a working version for people that don't want to run into latest bugs.

@lordCRC - incase you need it http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr2.exe -thank timbow.
Just to clarify, that's the memory-leak "bugfix test version" of v7b8?

Narris

Post by Narris » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:49 am

unsure, i'm still using the latest version. My work around fix for people having this without downgrading is to do this.

If it's a file that is going to cause an issue and pops up an error box it will be within the first attempt of Repair & Extract trying combine. By this I mean the very first file of the set that is downloaded, that's when the error box will popup if it hasn't by grabbing the .par2 itself. In order to do the following you'll need to get Multipar (a program that extracts and makes pars)

1. Look to confirm which file it is in repair extract.
2. UN-check the Enabled box in Repair/Extract
3. close newsleecher (as you wont be able to do step 5 since the file is stuck on "combine")
4. Reopen newsleecher
5. Remove the file from repair and extract
6. Continue to download the file and the pars
7. Goto the directory with file explorer that you have download the file
8. manually combine using the multipar program
9. Enable Repair and Extract

cheers.

Bittorrrrent

Post by Bittorrrrent » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:27 pm

I also have this problem since Beta 9, very few downloads work normally, most fail to combine and I have to use quickpar instead. Another bug that started since the previous beta (or the one before, can't remeber) is that my destination folder tags (<DateTime><Subject>) get ignored on certain downloads so I get just the name of the download with no date in front.

Eric10301

Post by Eric10301 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Yeah, I just disable r&e before downloading par split posts and repair them myself with quickpar.

Tuinpad

Post by Tuinpad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Bittorrrrent wrote:I also have this problem since Beta 9, very few downloads work normally, most fail to combine and I have to use quickpar instead. Another bug that started since the previous beta (or the one before, can't remeber) is that my destination folder tags (<DateTime><Subject>) get ignored on certain downloads so I get just the name of the download with no date in front.
Date and time you can restore manually since version 7

Bittorrrrent

Post by Bittorrrrent » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 pm

This is how it is setup and it used to work in previous V7 versions:
Some downloads get the tags while others don't.
I just noticed that I can't change the default Repair and Extract destination folder anymore, just the default download location. Another bug?

Narris

Post by Narris » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:05 am

Bittorrrrent wrote:This is how it is setup and it used to work in previous V7 versions:
Some downloads get the tags while others don't.
I just noticed that I can't change the default Repair and Extract destination folder anymore, just the default download location. Another bug?
Please write up your own bug report in another thread. This does not belong here. Please do not try to hijack a different thread for your own bugs, write up your own title and issue then post will be on its own. You have a better chance of the issue being addressed that way.

Thanks

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:54 pm

I think I got the split-set crash bug fixed in this unofficial test release :

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70010.ufr3.exe
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.