Beta7v6 - articles partially download then sit as queued

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
baltazar

Re: Beta7v6 - articles partially download then sit as queued

Post by baltazar »

Happens for me as well in NL7 Beta 7....

This bug obviously wreaks havoc on Repair And Extract, and it sometimes trigger an exception that stops RnE. I download to a RAMdisk and extract to another drive from there, and I've lost count over the times the whole queue has stopped because of full drive (since nothing is extracted and deleted). Works fantastic when it works...but it's a major bummer to find that you have to start all over again..

Anyhow, besides what's already mentioned above I've noticed that the order of the rar files in the queue may be off when things go wrong. Let's say the order goes like this:
part01.rar
part49.rar
part02.rar
part03.rar
etc....
The same set may have correct order in Supersearch before adding the set to the queue - but- it tends to be marked as incomplete. I've tested this several times and the same sets appear complete in Supersearch and are sorted and downloaded perfectly fine in Newsleecher 6 Beta 6. In my experience there's a queue and/or sort order issue that has been present in all the version 7 betas.

I've tried turning off all sorts of "fancy" parameters for the queing system, and also disabled Repair and Extract just to see if that would make any difference. It "seems" to me like the problems occur less frequently while turning off Repair and Extract but I can't be sure. Another reason for turning off Repair and Extract is that it sometimes enter some sort of loop mode and just chews memory until there's nothing left. I think this also is somewhat connected to the stuck queue issue although I can't be sure...

At any rate, I've started using Par-N-Rar instead of Repair and Extract as it seems much more reliable and it runs perfectly fine alongside Newsleecher. And it extracts split 001, 002 file sets as long as there are pars or sfv in the set. There's a lot I like about 7 B7 and I *hoped* to just download with 7 B7 and let Par-N-Rar handle the repair/extract, but sooner or later the queue issue attacks again. Basically, I've given up for now on version 7 and went back to V6 Beta 6 in order to get some peace of mind. :-)

Don't know if this is helpful, but I've saved a litte collection of different error messages that pops up when things go crazy. You never know what you get when this issue occur, but the 2 first reports are recurring the most, and all of them might pop up in seemingly random sequences when clicking ok on the first bug alert...

------------------------------------------

Bug Data #1:
asdasdfaa

Bug Data #2:
asfsdf

----------------------------------------------

Bug ID:
14w06s23v

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BB9055 in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of
address 0000003C

--------------------------------------------

Bug Data #1:
lkljdf

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BCFB67 in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of
address 00000008

------------------------------------------------

Bug Data #1:
9ss9mm99s

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00A9FFCA in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of
address 00000030

----------------------------------------------------

Bug Data #1:
kj2lkjlja

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00AB41AF in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of
address 0000004D

------------------------------------------------

Bug Data #1:
kdjalkj

Bug Data #2:
Access violation at address 00BBFB9C in module 'NewsLeecher.exe'. Read of
address 00000050

--------------------------------------------------

baltazar

Post by baltazar »

Oh.. forgot to say that it's not necessary with a large queue to trigger this issue. A single file set can be plenty enough...

I also forgot to mention that the address in the bug alerts change frequently, at least in some of these bug alert "versions".

Cheers,
baltazar

baltazar

Post by baltazar »

I've found one of the scenarios where the stuck queue occurs, and hopefully one that is important enough to give a clue so the devs can fix it.
I was testing every version from 6 B6 to 7 B7 (except 7 B1 and B6 as they won't even open in XP) at the time and unfortunately I no longer have the archive. However, I have a quite clear picture of the sequence and what was different in this situation.

1. This multi rar archive looked fine in Supersearch at first. However, once I expanded the tree view I noticed that all the individual files were flagged as incomplete. They were not incomplete really, but I'll get back to that...

2. Tried downloading with Beta 7 and immediately after queueing there were two par files stuck in the queue, non-responsive to any input.

3. Beta 7 then started downloading the first rar part (part01) of the archive and once it reached 100% for that file - voila - bug alert bonanza.

4. Now I got all those seemingly random bug alerts every time I pressed ok, and the result was program freeze sooner or later.

5. I tried to empty the queue and "trick" the files to download as single files but no go. No matter what I did I ended up with incomplete archives.

Now, here's what the problem was with the archive:

1. The archive was not corrupt in the usual meaning of the term. It downloaded and extracted perfectly fine with older versions (again I couldn't try B6 as it won't open in XP but I'm pretty sure it would've failed as well, judging by the reports from others in this thread)

2. The working NL versions didn't delete the files after extracting as instructed so I tried Par-N-Rar which cleaned up - *but* left the last rar files behind.

3. Looking closer at the archive revealed that the compressed content was 1200 MB while the original file was approximately 200 MB smaller.

4. Then I realized why Par-N-Rar would leave behind the last rar parts after cleaning. The last rars were never used when extracting the archive...

So, basically it seem that NL7 B7 (and probably B6) freaks out completely when it meets an archive that is bigger than it should be originally. I have no idea how that happens, and I've tried to reproduce a similar scenario to no avail, but I did test repeatedly with identical results. Too bad I lost track of the archive along the way, and can't remember where to find it anymore, but I really hope it can be of some use in order tp pinpoint the stuck queue issue. I've tried to find another archive with the same "properties", but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. These things tend to pop up when you least expect it for some reason.. :-)

Cheers,
Baltazar

phunk

Post by phunk »

Yup, I can also confirm this bug when running NL under win2kr2 x64. Probelms exactly as described by others, with files just sitting in the queue.

cheers

roadskolar

Post by roadskolar »

Is this ever going to be fixed? May not be a big deal if you have a high speed connection but for us that still have slow dsl lines it is a big deal and have to go and re-download a 12gig file with sabnzb or some other program that will at least complete a corrupted rar that can be fixed.

Is newsleecher dead? No fixes, no responses in a long time.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I'll look into getting this fixed very soon, but I can't seem to trigger the bug myself.

Also, are you using multiple different news servers or just one ? If multiple, try do disable all but one of the servers and see if that helps.

If you can make the bug trigger consistently with a specific fileset, pls PM me with a SuperSearch query that returns the set. That might help me being able to trigger the bug.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

tinus

Post by tinus »

Fresh out of my DL queue, try: garage.squad.s01e01.720p-dhd

Hangs on part r22. Posting about 420 days ago
Last edited by tinus on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinus

Post by tinus »

From today, try: AEjBZaKJqZgaoa-hF5wEa7ygF8zeoBA

Stalls on parts 002 025 027 032 045 046 048 049 050 051 052 055 056 057 058 059