Adding to RnE during extraction bug

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
sinrise

Adding to RnE during extraction bug

Post by sinrise »

I searched around the forum and was surprised I didn't find this. This bug is consistently reproducible. If you add an entry to RnE while it's extracting, it will cause the extraction to fail and also cause the newly added download to fail with a 'no files in archive' error. It causes RnE to hang for a minute or so, then restarts the first extraction. The only way to recover the newly added one is to remove it from RnE and re-add it.

Sunfox

Re: Adding to RnE during extraction bug

Post by Sunfox »

I'm discussing something similar with Spiril at the moment... not specific to adding during extraction, but I think PARs being added while RnE is doing ANYTHING - including checking the contents of a just-downloaded file for spam - causes it to throw fits. In my case, it immediately gets confused and thinks the currently downloading set is suddenly done, wipes it completely from both the hard drive and the download queue, and then tries to extract files that don't exist (haven't been downloaded yet, plus it just deleted what it did have!), which causes it to lock up one entry on "extracting files", and often another entry (usually the bottom one) showing bright red with "???" as status.

When you restart (RnE will not recover from this) the set that it tried to extract is declared finished... and since all traces of it have been deleted, you have to find it again and add it to the queue.

sinrise

Post by sinrise »

In my case it's not deleting any files and it doesn't seem to be a problem unless RnE is actually extracting.

tinus

Post by tinus »

This has been reported several times. I can confirm that with beta 6 this bug still is there :-)

When actually extracting, adding an item to R&E causes the extracting to stop. Everything freezes for a while and then the extracting starts all over and the added R&E item gets the "unable to copy/move" error

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Different symptoms than I'm seeing, but probably related to the same underlying issue. In my case, I think the step where it opens a RAR to see if it's spam at the same time as a new RnE item is being added, is confusing it into thinking that this same item is suddenly done, and prompting it to skip right to trying to extract that item... even though it doesn't exist. And thus, it crashes.

sinrise

Post by sinrise »

Six months later and not even a reply from NL staff?

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

If you are still watching this thread, try this test release :

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr2.exe

It should fix the bug. I have changed *a lot* of the PAR2 handling code in this test release, so things might not work 100% yet.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

kublai

Post by kublai »

This version still does not work http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr2.exe. If you need a .nzb to test let me know.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

kublai wrote:This version still does not work http://www.newsleecher.com/nl70008.ufr2.exe. If you need a .nzb to test let me know.
How do you add the PAR2 file to Repair & Extract ? Drag'n'drop or is the PAR2 auto added via the Repair & Extract 'monitor' feature ?

Does Repair & Extract immediately halt the RAR extract currently in progress, when a PAR2 is added to the Repair & Extract listview ?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

kublai

Post by kublai »

I doubled click on the .nzb to import it. What happens is RNE will never start because the file is incomplete and it should save the incomplete file to the harddrive but NL just leave it in the queue hanging.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

kublai wrote:I doubled click on the .nzb to import it. What happens is RNE will never start because the file is incomplete and it should save the incomplete file to the harddrive but NL just leave it in the queue hanging.
That's another bug though. This thread is about the ( now fixed ) bug that cancels active RAR extracts if files are added to the Repair and Extract view at the same time.

But pls PM me the NZB, then I'll look into it.

tinus

Post by tinus »

This seems to be fixed with forum release 4. Many thanks for that!

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I'll mark the bug as 'fixed' on the todo list then!

tinus

Post by tinus »

That's fine by me :-)

However, could it be that the fix for this bug has a negative impact on the (overall) performance of RnE? To me at least, it seems that the RnE process is now even slower then before. And it wasn't so quick to begin with...

Another thing, NL just kept continuously crashing with a new bug. Clicking OK just restarted the crash so I had to kill NL via the taskmanager. After restarting, everything in my RnE queue had the (incorrect) status "finished". So I had to sort that all out manually. Bug, as always, has been reported via the anonymously bug reporting.

That reminds me, how do I know that a new unofficial forum release is available? Other than following my own posts here ;-)

Edit, I just found one very simple way that gave me UFR5. However, I don't know what it is supposed to fix or how to report back that that actually works (or not) :-)