NL v4 Beta 3 Hangs durring startup

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
slinks

NL v4 Beta 3 Hangs durring startup

Post by slinks »

Every time I start NL it hangs for about 15 seconds after its already loaded and showing on the screen. Did the same thing with the other V4 releases. If you click anywhere inside NL it shows not responding in the top. I am running W7 and using avast for AV but disable it when running NL otherwise SS wont work.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Not sure about the hanging problem but please see this FAQ for info about configuring Avast to work with NewsLeecher.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Fluclo

Post by Fluclo »

I am getting similar symptoms. I don't use Avast. Using Windows Vista Home.

slinks

Post by slinks »

Yeah sorry I wasn't really worried about the avast deal just thought i would add it in case it was some thing to do with avast. 3.95 did not show these symptoms. If there is any other information I need to give to help trouble shoot this let me know. Thanks

sinner

Post by sinner »

I have the same "hanging" at the startup of newsleecher. It remains dead for exactly 60 seconds, even with no servers configured and every option at default setting. So it's not a configuration or a server connection problem. This happenes in beta1, 2 and now also 3, but did not in v4 preview as far as I remember.
The latest v3 version does not hang, it starts immediately.
OS is Vista64.
This may have something to do with Supersearch, here is the logfile portion:
15:55:50 SuperSearch has successfully initialized ...
15:55:50 * SuperSearch Conn. Info: Gen.IP="ssgen.getmyip.com" :: Ero.IP="ssero.getmyip.com" :: Ports="119", "23" :: Retention="370".
15:56:51 Auto clicking the "Connect" button. This feature can be turned off from the options dialog.
The 1 minute missing occurs after Supersearch is initialized.
Hope this helps in finding the bug.

Btw. when running, it never hangs anymore, even when using Supersearch. v4b3 is totally stable for me!

sinner

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

It sounds like a DNS timeout trying to resolve the hostnames for the SuperSearch servers. Depending on how many DNS servers you have configured, it can take quite a while.

You could try using a different DNS server than what it is currently using, which is most likely your ISP or your router which is then querying your ISP causing more delay. Try entering 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 into your network card configuration and see if the problem goes away. These are the DNS servers for www.opendns.com which is a good fast service.

You can try adding the hostname and IP addresses to your local hosts file but if/when we need to change the IP address, it will stop working for you until you change your hosts file again.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

sinner

Post by sinner »

Hi,
it's not a DNS problem. Manual query of both adresses works instantly.
Also NL v3.95b is using the same DNS names for supersearch, and there it works fine.

> nslookup ssgen.getmyip.com
Server: fritz.fonwlan.box
Address: 192.168.169.100
Name: ssgen.getmyip.com
Address: 174.37.197.132

> nslookup ssero.getmyip.com
Server: fritz.fonwlan.box
Address: 192.168.169.100
Name: ssero.getmyip.com
Address: 174.37.197.133

It must be something new added in v4b1.

sinner

rodu59

Post by rodu59 »

Hi

I have make a installation of newsleecher V4 beta3 on a newly installation of vista. No more hang at the startup of newsleecher.
everthing works fine.

I have the same hardware et reconfig the sames parameters as before.

Hope this will help you

ps : excuse for my english, i'm french ....

hroo772

Post by hroo772 »

It seems like that issue was around the startup of supersearch. I have the same issue, but I use nod32 as my antivirus and don't subscribe to supersearch. Yet this always happens, not sure on exactly how long, but I do have it hang on startup for some reason.

PugFish

Post by PugFish »

I too have this problem, except it only pauses for exactly 30 seconds. I'm already using OpenDNS and I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

dogfood

Post by dogfood »

Same problem here. Vista x64 ultimate. It seems to be getting worse as well. Am already on open dns.

slinks

Post by slinks »

Beta 4 still has the same problem for me and the issue is getting worse its hanging for well over a min now.... Would be great to work with someone on this to get this figured out very annoying. Anyone out there?

BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel »

I had this pause aswell with beta 3 and 4, running Windows 7 x64 RC. Beta 3 would pause 30 seconds or more, while beta4 was in the area of 5 seconds. So beta 4 seems to have changed something that improved the situation for me.

I finally decided to try OpenDNS, and that seems to have fixed it. I have not rebooted yet, but my few attempts at closing/reopening NewsLeecher were successful so far. So it appears my hanging problem was at least partly caused by DNS problems and seems to be fully solved by using OpenDNS in combinaton with beta 4.

slinks

Post by slinks »

I tried using the suggested dns servers and the problems still persists. Any other ideas?

BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel »

I posted too early, I still get the hangups. NL hangs for 5-10 seconds when I first start it, but if I close it and start it again, it's there immediately. This is while using OpenDNS of course.