Computer hiccups when downloading with NL

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Magsel

Computer hiccups when downloading with NL

Post by Magsel »

Whenever a file has been downloaded by NL (7.0 beta 3) and starts writing the file to my HDD my computer freezes during the writing. It's just a couple of seconds, but annoying as hell when I'm gaming or whatever it is I'm doing on the computer.

I recently reinstalled my computer (fresh install with format c:) and decided to install the latest NL beta. Before the reinstall of my computer I used NL 6.5 beta 6 and had no hiccups whatsoever.
Since I changed two things (reinstalled computer and installed NL 7) I have absolutely no idea if it has something to do with NL or some other component.

Diskwrite caching is enable on all my HDD's. I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

If any of you have similar problems and fixed them please drop a line.

daleidat

Re: Computer hiccups when downloading with NL

Post by daleidat »

On the 31st of December 2014, I also did some maintenance, I installed an SSD Drive as my main drive. After importing from my previous drive, I installed Newsleecher 7.3, and imported my Newsleecher data backup, and the performance was superb,and I have had no problems at all and Newsleecher is performing great . I only wish that I had performed the upgrade sooner. I bought the 244gig SSD drive for £80 from Amazon, and I must admit, it was the best 80 quid that I have spent. The drive is running great, and Newsleecher is fine. The SSD drive has definitely made a huge difference.

Software is included with the drive that enables you to transfer your data from your old drive to your new SSD drive. All I did was reinstall Newsleecher afresh and then imported my Newsleecher backup, and up to press, everything is running fine.

With the Christmas period being quiet, it was great, because I did not have to rush things.

Best of luck sorting your system out.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

Don't want to sound as a total dick, but how does your reply help me?

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

I suppose he's saying that it sure sounds like a bottleneck with your hard drives that would likely be fixed if you upgrade to an SSD.

On my system, the OS and all programs run from a fast SSD, but then I have a four-disk RAID 0 array of 7200RPM HDDs for downloading. I play games while Newsleecher is chugging away in the background, and the only time I notice anything is in the newer version when it starts repairing a many-GB fileset... framerate drops for a few minutes.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

I've Always run with the setup like it is now and like I said before I had no issues whatsoever before the reinstall and installing NL 7.
My systemdisk is SSD which run Windows 7 x64 and NL7.
The download files are being written to a SATA HDD but like I said before I had the exact same setup except not having NL7 installed.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Perhaps you could pinpoint exactly where the freezing occurs?

* Downloading articles
* Verifying articles
* Repairing archives
* Decompressing archives

And whether this only happens when multiple items are occurring (ie., downloading at high speed while decompressing), etc.

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

Sunfox wrote:Perhaps you could pinpoint exactly where the freezing occurs?

* Downloading articles
* Verifying articles
* Repairing archives
* Decompressing archives

And whether this only happens when multiple items are occurring (ie., downloading at high speed while decompressing), etc.
yes Sunfox is right - we need more information.
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

I'm downloading with 90mbit wich is translated by NL with 10 mb/s.

It's happening when the file is being saved to disk as I mentioned before.
It only happens when files are bigger then 100mb.
12:04:05 * Saving file to disk "1d64948Dc4fMdccaO9f1.part001.rar". ( E:\Neerlaadz\Usenet\alt.binaries.u-4all\ )
I'm downloading to E:\ which is a SATA HDD.

When I switch the download folder to C:\ which is a SSD the freezes are a bit shorter, but it's still very much annoying.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Does it make any difference whether or not "Repair and Extract" is enabled while you download ?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

It does indeed make a difference when I disable R&E. There are no hiccups at all.

I updated v7.0 beta 3 to 4 and noticed just a tiny little less hiccup with R&E enabled, still very much annoying though and unable to play any games with R&E enabled.

Do you want me to uninstall v.7 beta 4 and install the v6.5 beta 6 to see if I've got the same issue?

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

yes, can you try to downgrade?
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

Okay I deinstalled v7.0 beta 4, rebooted my computer and installed v6.5 beta 6 and did not have any hickups at all when downloading large files and with R&E enabled.
I used the same configuration settings as I had in v7.0 beta 4.

I downloaded REPODRESTERGHTUDMLDRE posted on 25/1/2015 in alt.binaries.amazing. The files are 303.679 KB each.
I did notice R&E is slower in v6.5 b6. I was already downloading rar file 90 and file 76 was being verified.

After the download I deinstalled v6.5 beta 6, rebooted my computer and installed v7.0 beta 4. I downloaded the same files and the hickup is back. The verifying in v7 b4 is real fast. Downloading file 90 and allready waiting to be verified. I'm no developer, but maybe there lies the problem?

My rig:
Intel Core i7 X 980 @ 3.33 GHz
12 GB RAM
Windows 7 ultimate x64
OCZ-VERTEX2 120 GB is C: which hold Windows and programs like newsleecher.
Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB Split into 3 parts. One of them is E: which I use to download newsleecher files to.
WD MyBook 2TB which i use to extract newsleecher files to.

If there is any information I can provide you with please let me know.

cdavitt

Post by cdavitt »

I'm having similar issues with 'hiccups' or freezing/not responding when RnE is enabled and I have a lot in queue. I'm on v.5. let me know if there is anything I can provide to help find this bug/issue as well.

Magsel

Post by Magsel »

Any news on this, since I still have this issue with b14.

leyton1

Post by leyton1 »

I think I have a similar problem which I listed in the beta section:
https://newsleecher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26472