Please help with program not saving my new groups after closing...

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Post Reply
shaolin95
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Please help with program not saving my new groups after closing...

Post by shaolin95 »

Hi!
The program seems to be stuck with 5 groups I had and any new group I add is removed next time I open it. Interesting my Queued files remain there though BUT not in the order I had them.
IN any case my main thing is finding out why it is removing the groups that I add and also supersearch always defaults to 1 day.

jdgdcg
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Please help with program not saving my new groups after closing...

Post by jdgdcg »

shaolin95 wrote:Hi!
The program seems to be stuck with 5 groups I had and any new group I add is removed next time I open it. Interesting my Queued files remain there though BUT not in the order I had them.
IN any case my main thing is finding out why it is removing the groups that I add and also supersearch always defaults to 1 day.
How do you add the groups? From where? Where do they dissapear? Name the windows you are using (articles, queue, manager)

shaolin95
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Re: Please help with program not saving my new groups after closing...

Post by shaolin95 »

jdgdcg wrote:
shaolin95 wrote:Hi!
The program seems to be stuck with 5 groups I had and any new group I add is removed next time I open it. Interesting my Queued files remain there though BUT not in the order I had them.
IN any case my main thing is finding out why it is removing the groups that I add and also supersearch always defaults to 1 day.
How do you add the groups? From where? Where do they dissapear? Name the windows you are using (articles, queue, manager)
I add them like I always have done. Go to the Manager Tab look for the group and subscribe to it.
Then I go to Articles tab and the Group is there so I start downloading all the headers (which btw seem to get stuck at some points not getting all the headers I want all the time).
Then if I close the program and open it again and check under Articles the group is no longer there.

Also if I add a new file to the top of the Queue..then close the program and open it again, the file now at the bottom of the Queue so it seems to be going back to a previous "moment in time" always restoring the same order.

Thanks!

jdgdcg
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Post by jdgdcg »

What version do you use?

shaolin95
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Post by shaolin95 »

V5 beta 6
Thanks

shaolin95
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Post by shaolin95 »

Even the Super Search history still shows the same files over and over again after I close the program and open it again....

jdgdcg
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Post by jdgdcg »

Can be that your options and queue are not saved when you exit? Is possible that you've protected against change the data folder on the primary drive?

C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\NewsLeecher

Try to see if the files are changed when you close the program or not. Copy or rename the folder and launch the program again and put things on queue, exit the program, open again the program and watch if the queue is the same or not...

shaolin95
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Post by shaolin95 »

My installation is not on C..will that affect the location?
I did find that folder in C as you mentioned but renaming it did not change anything nor a new one was created.
I did notice something odd...I can change the main Newsleecher folder to Non read only and it went throught many file changes but after it finished if I checked the Properties the Nesleecher folder still shows Read Only.

jdgdcg
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Post by jdgdcg »

shaolin95 wrote:My installation is not on C..will that affect the location?
I did find that folder in C as you mentioned but renaming it did not change anything nor a new one was created.
I did notice something odd...I can change the main Newsleecher folder to Non read only and it went throught many file changes but after it finished if I checked the Properties the Nesleecher folder still shows Read Only.
In theory the main folder installation and the system folder are differents.

It's strange that if you rename the system folder the program doesn't create a new one... because that's imposible, the program has to create a new folder to save your preferences...

Try to use this instructions to change the system folder and try it
viewtopic.php?t=12413

shaolin95
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Post by shaolin95 »

I have forgotten that I have done that before and still that old folder was creating the issue. No matter what I did to it, still wouldnt work so I created a new one and now is all good with that part.
I still have the problem of Groups no updating fully...for example a group that has almost 5 millions...stops updating at about 1.2 then connection shows offline. Then I have to hit disconnect and connect again for it to start again after I click to update. Then stops again and so on.
Thanks

jdgdcg
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Post by jdgdcg »

shaolin95 wrote:I have forgotten that I have done that before and still that old folder was creating the issue. No matter what I did to it, still wouldnt work so I created a new one and now is all good with that part.
I still have the problem of Groups no updating fully...for example a group that has almost 5 millions...stops updating at about 1.2 then connection shows offline. Then I have to hit disconnect and connect again for it to start again after I click to update. Then stops again and so on.
Thanks
Don't disconect the server. Try to update again and again. Right click on the group name and update selected or all groups. When the conection is closed again... If you don't open the window of the group and you do that next time you'll have all the articles new since last update.

Post Reply