Barely downloading in Vista x64 (3.91b2)

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

ctgilles

Barely downloading in Vista x64 (3.91b2)

Post by ctgilles »

NL is unbelievably slow in reponse. Downloads don't even start or maybe barely. It's using 1 complete core 100% of my Core 2 Quad with 4GB RAM. Have been like this since I moved to Vista x64 but I can't revert back to XP or 32 bit.

This is solely due to the R'n'E feature, when is this going to be fixed *again*?

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

so this is due to RnE using too much CPU and not leaving enough for downloads?

Another user had success by using the task manager to lower the CPU priority from Normal to Below Normal. Didn't see any problems using NewsLeecher in that mode but it dramatically lowered the CPU usage.

Some users have encountered permission problems running Newsleecher in Vista even as an Administrator-level user. Try running the application under XP compatibility mode.

1. Right click the Newsleecher icon and then left click "Properties."
2. Select the Compatibility tab.
3. Where it says "Compatibility mode", enable the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" checkbox.
4. Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" from the drop box.
5. Where it says "Privilege Level", enable the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

sinner

Post by sinner »

I don't experience these problems in vista x64.
I had something similar when running kaspersky antivirus, I needed to disable scanning of port119 and things went smooth again.

But is it possible that there is some kind of ressource problem (desktop heap) when running NL in vista x64? After letting NL download some time (~20h) there are no more desktop heap ressources available ( -> cannot open new windows, some apps warn about low memory, ...) and restarting NL seems to fix this. As NL is the only app running it seems that it's NLs fault. Machine is quadcore with 8gb ram, so there is more than enough free ram.

ctgilles

Post by ctgilles »

--Reverted back to 3.9b17

I have a Quadcore at 3.85Ghz and 4GB of RAM. Still not enough for Newsleecher? Anyway, I download a lot that's why I have 200 items in R'n'E and that's why it stalls and crashes. Disabling and enabling it make it work again but I'd still like it to be more stable.