Usenet-Access.com Incompatible?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

FrogBelly

Usenet-Access.com Incompatible?

Post by FrogBelly » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:40 am

I have been unable to get NL 2.3 to work download any articles from any of the usenet-access.com servers. NL will login and download headers but any attempt to get files will fail with the log eventually saying that the article is not on the server. I can use Xnews to get the articles so I know they are on the server. Does usenet-access need to be added to the list of non-working servers or is there something I am doing wrong. :?: Thanks

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:43 pm

It's quite likely that Usenet-access uses article ID instead of message ID. NL does not support article ID's which would cause the problem you describe. You'll have to contact usenet-access tech support to find out for certain though.

NL v1.0 beta 9 and before supports the article ID format, but it is no longer being supported here.

techfuzz

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: Usenet-Access.com Incompatible?

Post by Lips » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:24 pm

FrogBelly wrote:I have been unable to get NL 2.3 to work download any articles from any of the usenet-access.com servers. NL will login and download headers but any attempt to get files will fail with the log eventually saying that the article is not on the server. I can use Xnews to get the articles so I know they are on the server. Does usenet-access need to be added to the list of non-working servers or is there something I am doing wrong. :?: Thanks
techfuzz wrote:It's quite likely that Usenet-access uses article ID instead of message ID.
Looks like Usenet-access is a reseller of Newsfeeds. Very possible the mid index is just hosed.

FrogBelly -

Does this problem occur in just 1 newsgroup? If so, try a different group.
Did 2.3 ever work ok or did the problem actually start as soon as you began using v2.3? And you had no problems when using previous versions of NL? You can try a previous version of NL.
However, you might want to contact the NSP's support and see what they have to say about the problem.

--
Lips

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:57 pm

Lips wrote: Looks like Usenet-access is a reseller of Newsfeeds. Very possible the mid index is just hosed.
Where'd you see that? I searched and couldn't find any definitive info on them.

techfuzz

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:49 pm

I don't know where he found it but i see usenet-access is listed as a rebranded newsfeeds over on http://newsgroupservers.net/

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 am

techfuzz wrote:
Lips wrote: Looks like Usenet-access is a reseller of Newsfeeds. Very possible the mid index is just hosed.
Where'd you see that? I searched and couldn't find any definitive info on them.
Smudge wrote:[...] i see usenet-access is listed as a rebranded newsfeeds over on http://newsgroupservers.net/
Found the info a number of places. For one, the site Smudge pointed out. Also found info on another site that has NSP info.

--
Lips

FrogBelly

Post by FrogBelly » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:14 am

Version 2.3 is the FIRST I have used.....usenet-access hasn't responded to my email as of yet but I am pretty sure that they don't support the numbering system that newsleecher needs to work. Thanks

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:01 pm

FrogBelly wrote:Version 2.3 is the FIRST I have used.....usenet-access hasn't responded to my email as of yet but I am pretty sure that they don't support the numbering system that newsleecher needs to work.
Well, it may be the case, but maybe not as they do appear to be a Newsfeeds reseller. When you find out from support, please let us know.
One more question though: FrogBelly, have you ever, with any news client, successfully downloaded from this server using an nzb file?

--
Lips

chenson

NewsLeecher incompatability

Post by chenson » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:56 pm

"It's quite likely that Usenet-access uses article ID instead of message ID. NL does not support article ID's which would cause the problem you describe. You'll have to contact usenet-access tech support to find out for certain though. NL v1.0 beta 9 and before supports the article ID format, but it is no longer being supported here."

I wish i had been made aware of possible incompatabilities before i purchased NewsLeecher.

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: NewsLeecher incompatability

Post by Spiril » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:06 pm

chenson wrote:"It's quite likely that Usenet-access uses article ID instead of message ID. NL does not support article ID's which would cause the problem you describe. You'll have to contact usenet-access tech support to find out for certain though. NL v1.0 beta 9 and before supports the article ID format, but it is no longer being supported here."

I wish i had been made aware of possible incompatabilities before i purchased NewsLeecher.
AFAIK newsfeeds (usenet-access?) uses the SurgeNews usenetserver, which should support message IDs perfectly, so I really don't understand why it doesn't work. Maybe they haven't switched Message ID support on in the server configs.

Anyway, if you have compatibility probs, I would either recommend that you use another usenet provider or email our support for a refund.

I can recommend newshosting.com and giganews.com as alternatives to usenet-access. Both provide great services.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

zodiac

Post by zodiac » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:37 pm

if they're still a reseller..
a reseller of newsfeeds has it own server,so couldn't it be possible that there is a problem with usenet-access's software or they didn't enable it?

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:48 pm

zodiac wrote:[...]a reseller of newsfeeds has it own server,so couldn't it be possible that there is a problem with usenet-access's software or they didn't enable it?
Or, the history file could be hosed. It wouldn't be the first time that Newsfeeds has had this problem.

Maybe some others out there using Usenet-Access would comment on this situation.

--
Lips

FrogBelly

Post by FrogBelly » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:16 am

Just tried to download using an nzb with newsbin.....it failed returning only message not found. Usenet-access, tech support hasn't responded, but I have noticed that their "status page" is just a fake, as the info is the same everyday, just with the correct date listed. Basically just advertising thier more expensive service. O'well. I am confused why NL cant be setup to use both systems, not all of us are dependant on nzb files for our downloading, why couldnt there just be an option to load headers and download by whichever ID is used by the server, as a service to people who have to use a service that dosent support the message IDs?

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:32 pm

FrogBelly, it is my understanding that the article ID format is being phased out and most news providers have already made the switch to message ID. Spiril could offer the best explanation though why switched support during development.

techfuzz

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:07 am

techfuzz wrote:FrogBelly, it is my understanding that the article ID format is being phased out and most news providers have already made the switch to message ID.
Really? techfuzz, I am not aware of this. AFAIK, article numbers are still very much a part of the RFC's and their use is still a valid method of requesting articles. Is the phasing out of article numbers actually in the works and is there a draft that contains the info? Hey, it's not like I'm a news admin and keep up-to-date with every development, so maybe I've missed hearing about this. I would be interested in reading about this, so any help pointing me to the proper place would be appreciated. My searches haven't found anything *yet*.

--
Lips