Specify Favorite Groups to search using SuperSearch - no more unwanted Erotica, Bloaf, Tun results

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
jmustarde

Specify Favorite Groups to search using SuperSearch - no more unwanted Erotica, Bloaf, Tun results

Post by jmustarde »

I would like a way to limit or specify the groups to be searched during a SuperSearch. I would also like a list feature, so users could have one list of groups for music, another for documentaries, another for ebooks, etc. Cranking up SuperSearch would allow users to choose from their group list for that specific search, and/or make a new group list based on what the searcher desires to be found.

That way, when looking for a book or an mp3 or a technical article or a documentary I could include specific groups, known to actually contain useful articles and to not contain loads of spam and virtuses and .exe files.

I want to quit having those spam groups use up all the SuperSearch result limits. There is no reason groups like Boneless and Bloaf and Tun and in fact over half of all Usenet groups exist nowadays - except to propagate spam and viruses.

A Newsleecher user could designate specific newsgroups to search, and maintain a list, so that when searching for, say, music, one would only search those legitimate groups where music can be found -a.b.mp3, a.b.s.mp3.1960s,70s.etc, and a.b.sounds.flac, and so on - groups known through experience to actually contain what the searcher is looking for, rather than the spam and viruses that currently comprise over half of all SuperSearch results (because SuperSearch includes *all groups*, of which most are virus and spam sites in 2015.)

Thank you for a great application and service, my wife and daughter and granddaughter and I have much enjoyed being able to access newsgroups easily, and we only have minor complaints, mostly due to having no option to limit SuperSearches to known, favorite newsgroups that contain 99% legitimate, useful content.

jharris1993

Re: Specify Favorite Groups to search using SuperSearch - no more unwanted Erotica, Bloaf, Tun results

Post by jharris1993 »

+1

This would be an excellent feature!

Jim (JR)
Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

bweb

Re: Specify Favorite Groups to search using SuperSearch - no more unwanted Erotica, Bloaf, Tun results

Post by bweb »

I'd prefer the ability to exclude known spam/virus sites from Super Search. They are fewer in number and I'd like to keep the wide net availability as much as possible. Just want to dump the jerk sites. I like the idea of having separate search specializations on file.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

Earlier this month, we implemented support for SuperSearching a subset of groups.

Check this post :
viewtopic.php?p=118806#p118806

We have a groupExcl tag on the to-do list as well, so a subset of groups can be *excluded* from the search results.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

tinus

Post by tinus »

Hi, just wondering how the groupExcl tag is getting on :-)

I'd really like it to be an option that can be set as a standard default filter for Supersearch. alt.binaries.mom is really annoying and cluttering search results. So I would like my NL to stop searching here by default :wink: