Road Map

If you got suggestions for new features or feature changes in NewsLeecher, go ahead and let santa know.
Spiril
Site Admin

Road Map

Post by Spiril » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:16 pm

<pre>
----------------------------------------------------------------
NewsLeecher Road Map
----------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The features mentioned below are only the milestone
features for the next big releases. The releases will
include *lots* of other nice features aswell.
----------------------------------------------------------------</pre>

Version 5
NewsLeecher V5 will introduce multi-tabbed SuperSearching, which will allow one to operate several SuperSearch views simultaneously.

We are also looking into implementing a complete Keyword-Manager for V5, which will make it possible to place downloaded and Repair'n'Extracted articles in user-specified folder locations, based on user-specified article keywords. This will make download managing much easier and flexible for many users.

Furthermore we'll continue to optimize the user interface and performance of NewsLeecher, striving for a non-bloated, fast and good looking product.

Version 6
Our current plan is to implement full text reader support into NewsLeecher V6. It will be implemented in a very discrete way, making it almost unnoticeably visually and performance wise, for users who don't care about text reader capabilities.

We already have some great usability ideas for the text reader implementation, which haven't been seen in any usenet news reader before.

Version 7+
Time will tell. We hear rumors, that the development language we use for making NewsLeecher, will be able to provide us with the possibility to make native NewsLeecher releases for MacOS and Linux. This is something we'll put a lot of effort into providing for our users, if it gets technically possible.

Besides what's mentioned in the roadmap above, there will, of course, be tons of smaller NewsLeecher improvements and additions aswell. So lots of stuff on the roadmap for the NewsLeecher future.
Last edited by Spiril on Mon May 28, 2012 9:22 am, edited 35 times in total.

spottydog2004

Too True

Post by spottydog2004 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:42 am

I totally sucked at newsgroups---- until Newsleecher showed me the light
If I can use it ANYONE can 8)
Spiril-- carry on doing what you do :wink:
Spottydog

AfterGlow

Some ideas for spiral

Post by AfterGlow » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:24 pm

:idea:

0. I SURE HOPE COX.NET EITHER GOES MSG ID OR YOU SUPPORT OLD HEADERS AS I SECONDARY OPTION PLS :cry:

1. ability to download headers in reverse order
enabling you to dl recently posted items with out having to dl every thing infrount of it first

2. run a seprate program for rebuilding parts
enabling newsleecher to send rebuild of one file or 20-100 parts to a outside program and remove the lag created when this process is done buy nl

3. add support for *.par and *.par2 files with a sencondary program
enabling nl to monitor downloads and pause remaning files and in making it a out side program would not lag nl

4. add support for unraring files as a secondary program to run on when files are verfied buy par/par2 with an option to del rar files when done

5. ability to multi-filter under one catagory
use coma to seprate filter values

6. this one a littel far feched but this is a wish list
make another fourm board for posing sited files on usnet like newzbin.com but have restrictions same as newzbin and make these restrictions removed for paying custmers (athintaction required ie. not for the hacked ver i can dl on usnet) lol

7. add reset menu to connection list in icon form not only list form

8. add mark item as downloaded as an opption for headers

9. add a spell checker to the forums cuz i cant spell sTuff (lol a joke)

:D

spottydog2004

Re: Some ideas for spiral

Post by spottydog2004 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:03 am

AfterGlow wrote::idea:

0. I SURE HOPE COX.NET EITHER GOES MSG ID OR YOU SUPPORT OLD HEADERS AS I SECONDARY OPTION PLS :cry:

enabling you to dl recently posted items with out having to dl every thing infrount of it first

2. run a seprate program for rebuilding parts
enabling newsleecher to send rebuild of one file or 20-100 parts to a outside program and remove the lag created when this process is done buy nl

3. add support for *.par and *.par2 files with a sencondary program
enabling nl to monitor downloads and pause remaning files and in making it a out side program would not lag nl

4. add support for unraring files as a secondary program to run on when files are verfied buy par/par2 with an option to del rar files when done

5. ability to multi-filter under one catagory
use coma to seprate filter values

6. this one a littel far feched but this is a wish list
make another fourm board for posing sited files on usnet like newzbin.com but have restrictions same as newzbin and make these restrictions removed for paying custmers (athintaction required ie. not for the hacked ver i can dl on usnet) lol

7. add reset menu to connection list in icon form not only list form

8. add mark item as downloaded as an opption for headers

9. add a spell checker to the forums cuz i cant spell sTuff (lol a joke)

sTuff is about the only thing you DID spell right :P :lol:

AfterGlow

Post by AfterGlow » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:39 am

ya but with the joke least i dont get 39804983409843098 ppl givin me sTuff for only spelling sTuff right

for some reason ppl like to bash the sTuff out of ppl who cant spell on forums like there going 2 hand in my post as an essay to there english teacher

Gregoor

Post by Gregoor » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:39 am

See viewtopic.php?t=497 for more on AfterGlow's post to keep reactions in one spot :)

AfterGlow

Post by AfterGlow » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:29 pm

ya well it occured to me that i sould not post it there sry bout that

spottydog2004

Post by spottydog2004 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:46 pm

AfterGlow wrote:ya but with the joke least i dont get 39804983409843098 ppl givin me sTuff for only spelling sTuff right

for some reason ppl like to bash the sTuff out of ppl who cant spell on forums like there going 2 hand in my post as an essay to there english teacher
Im not sure if I understand you or you dont understand me.
But I was only JOKING. :)

cloggy

Re: Some ideas for spiral

Post by cloggy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:18 am

AfterGlow wrote::idea:

Don't take any offence if I try to make clearer to others what you seem to mean here..

Did you mean when retrieving new headers from a group, let the program grab the newest headers first (as opposed to grabbing bodies after the headers are in) and work its way back, so that you don't have to download more headers than neccesary to go fine a file that was posted x number of days ago?
I have had this prob myself in dvd groups which have a LOT of files...
I see a posting on newsbin, know what files I want and get the latest headers from a group. If I haven't got enough, I have to used the download ALL headers option, and usually fine myself downloading about 3 million headers.

If I misunderstood you and am wrong, lemme be the first to say sorry, and btw this is summat I would like to see in a bin prog :) Dunno how feasable it is tho.

AfterGlow

Post by AfterGlow » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:25 pm

recon there are a number of groups with more then 100000 headers and many times i find a set of files that just got posted n so i know there at the end of the header list not the start so there still the same number why not dl them in reverse order n get what i need first n then move on to soming els

McShorty

Downloading headers from multiple groups

Post by McShorty » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:39 pm

A feature I really enjoy in grabit and I miss in almost all other grabbers is the ability tu download the headers of all groups i've subscribed.
One click on the 'incremental update all' and the update jobs are queued exactly as the other jobs in the dl queue.
Please consider adding this feature to your really nice piece of software
Regards,

McS

Tigggger

Re: Downloading headers from multiple groups

Post by Tigggger » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:16 am

McShorty wrote:A feature I really enjoy in grabit and I miss in almost all other grabbers is the ability tu download the headers of all groups i've subscribed.
One click on the 'incremental update all' and the update jobs are queued exactly as the other jobs in the dl queue.
Please consider adding this feature to your really nice piece of software
Regards,

McS
Click any group in the right pane, press Ctrl + A, then press the small update group button next to the name filter.

mv

Re: The NewsLeecher Wishlist

Post by mv » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:36 pm

Very Minor request. Possibly a better customization of the standard toolbar like Agent 1.93. I am looking for a quick icon to press to remove articles from the cache I have no intention of ever reading or wishing to see again. So right clicking, then choosing advanced, then choosing delete from cache could be eliminated with the option to put a single icon in the main toolbar. Grabit 1.47 has the remove icon and it's very helpful but newsleecher (when it's stable) blows it away.
Spiril wrote:
    • The NewsLeecher Wishlist (in no particular order)
      • Split header fetching between multiple bots.
      • Categorization of groups.
      • Detailed user configurable logging system.
      • Virtual groups. Combine many groups into one big virtual group.
      • Perform an action when the transfer queue is empty. (shutdown, etc)
      • Check for new newsgroups without redownloading entire grouplist.
      • Keep track of downloaded attachments to prevent dupes.
      • A new "only show highlighted articles" filter
      • Receive custom range of group headers
      • Support for non transparent proxys / firewalls.
      • "Detect breaks" feature. Ability to check if there are missing parts in specific cached articles.
      • Crosspost detective. Find out which groups specific articles have been crossposted to.
      • Posting system with yEnc/uuEncode compliant binary support.
      • SSL support. Encrypted usenet communication.
      • Bandwidth throttling.
      • Make downloaded file combination code multithreaded to prevent freezes.
      Mr Voice
      mv@usa.com

DevilsRejection

Post by DevilsRejection » Sun May 30, 2004 1:39 am

thanks for adding my idea to the todo list. keep up the great work.
      Combine articles with, almost, same subject for easier overview

dutchkillers

Post by dutchkillers » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:51 pm

maybe its handy to inplant a timer function so you can say to newsleecher that he starts downloading when you are lying on youre bed. Do you get what i am meaning? No? then pm me plz

Greets