2.3 final still major CPU-hog

Found a bug in NewsLeecher? Post a bug report here. Please describe how to reproduce the bug.
• Be sure to read the bug reporting guidelines before posting.

Scuttle

2.3 final still major CPU-hog

Post by Scuttle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:52 am

Is this bug going to be addressed at all? Right now I am downloading headers and Newsleecher is using between 30 and 70% cpu.

All this started when the damn speed-limiter was introduced, either rewrite it so it doesn't take over half of the computer, or create a separate executabe without the speed-limiter crap for people who actually wants to use their computers for something else while Newsleecher works

mercury17

Post by mercury17 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:23 am

Right to the point!

I didn't ask for the damn speedlimiter, there are several tools out there that offer the same functionality as standalone programm.
What I am waiting for is a stable NL...that's all I want.
The Supersearch is an option I really appreciate and a usefull add-on to NL, the speedlimiter is NOT!

So...get rid of the crap and give us a stable NL....

Gr: Cees.

bengt

Post by bengt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:49 am

I am not so sure it is only the speed limiter. Look at CPU usage when you have selected the "Usenet Manager" Tab. Make sure you are offline.

On my computer, the CPU usage goes between 20% and 100% every second or so.

As the bots are not connected, I assume there must (also) be a problem with the UI of that tab.

Greetings,
Bengt

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:40 pm

bengt wrote:I am not so sure it is only the speed limiter. Look at CPU usage when you have selected the "Usenet Manager" Tab. Make sure you are offline.

On my computer, the CPU usage goes between 20% and 100% every second or so.

As the bots are not connected, I assume there must (also) be a problem with the UI of that tab.

Greetings,
Bengt
Hm, I'm not seeing that behavior here, I only get a lot of cpu-usage when newsleecher is actually doing something

bengt

Post by bengt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:42 pm

Perhaps it is my configuration:

I have 4 Servers, whereas only one is active and 18 groups. It seems that the CPU Load depends on the number of groups.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:51 pm

bengt wrote:Perhaps it is my configuration:

I have 4 Servers, whereas only one is active and 18 groups. It seems that the CPU Load depends on the number of groups.
I know why the CPU uses more resources when the 'usenet manager' is active. The problem requires quite a bit of coding to be fixed, but virtual groups in v3.0 will solve the prob for sure.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Magic

Post by Magic » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:19 pm

with my config NL starts with 26%, switching through the tabs it goes up to 28%.

Minimizing it the cpu goes back to 3-4%! Bringing it back up and do stuff with NL the cpu goes hardly above the 8%. Minimizing it again it goes back to 3-4%.

So minimize it once and see what happens :)
Back in business!

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:33 pm

Spiril wrote:
bengt wrote:Perhaps it is my configuration:

I know why the CPU uses more resources when the 'usenet manager' is active. The problem requires quite a bit of coding to be fixed, but virtual groups in v3.0 will solve the prob for sure.
Does this include the overall CPU usage? i.e when Newsleecher is downloading? Are we going to have to live with Newsleecher taking over the computer until you release 3.0?

bengt

Post by bengt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:58 pm

No this is without downloading!

If NL is downloading, you get an additional CPU load. If I am not looking at the "Usenet Manager" Tab, I end up with 40-60% CPU Load for NL alone.

If I minimize NL, the CPU Load drops to about 20%.
Apparently, the UI of NL uses a lot of CPU. But also the bots seem to love the CPU. Funnily, even when one bot is waiting for the news server to answer, the cpu load does not go down.

If I have "Usenet Manager" Tab selected while downloading, I hit a total CPU Load of 100%. The download speed is also very much reduced, up to a factor of 5.

Greetings,
Bengt

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Hm, you seem to experience this bug a lot more than I do...what kind of computer are you running NL on? I have a XP 3200+ and I only really notice the cpu-usage when NL is downloading.
Would be really nice if this was taken care of and fixed ASAP...

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:51 pm

If this redesigning has to wait for version 3.0, than I think you'll have to wait for a few months at least.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:00 pm

It would be nice to get some official word on this...
It just seems really weird to me to badly implement something, causing trouble for a lot of users, then waiting several months to correct it, instead spending time and energy on implementing _more_ new stuff...

webstar

Post by webstar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:07 am

I think maybe is a computer issue not a software. My CPU usage doesn't even top 30% when I download, I can switch tabs in NL and not have it jump either.

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:17 am

webstar wrote:I think maybe is a computer issue not a software. My CPU usage doesn't even top 30% when I download, I can switch tabs in NL and not have it jump either.
This could be because of a million different reasons, maybe the problem doesn't become apparent until you download at a certain speed for example. What is your download speed, and do you have the speed-limiter "engaged"?
I have a 8Mbit connection and I usually max it out when downloading from Giganews, and Newsleecher always gobbles up most of my spare cpu-cycles, even though I have the speedlimiter disabled... Or set to "Automatic" as the case may be..

Just because the bug does not appear everywhere does not mean it's not a bug. There is definately something screwed up in the latest versions of Newsleecher that causes this insane cpu-usage, and since the last major feature that was the speed-limiter I would bet that this is where the problem lies.

Now, I have yet to see this problem being acknowledged asn an actual bug by The Powers that Be so I don't know what's gonna happend, but I sincerely hope it's not gonna be put on the backburner in favor of more bells and whistles...

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:59 am

I don't know whether it is a computer issue or software issue, but I do know that I don't suffer from it. When Newsleecher is open and downloading it does not consume more than 15%-25% Minimized it uses less. Also the amount of memory it uses when downloading is not huge, say 25 MB at the most. I have a 6Mb connection.

So it, quite possibly maybe even likely, is a bug. But it doesn't bug everyone. :wink:
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.