NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 11

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.

Postby Voyager2k » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

Oh dear, here we go again ......

Thanks for (re)adding color to highlight active state of the pause/connect buttons. But why on earth change the color to yellow ? Orange wasn't the best choice either but IF you're going to change it then ffs change it to something that makes SENSE ... i.e. pause active = RED, connect active = GREEN.

Pause button status is not beeing saved/restored on exit/startup since at least b10, probably since b9 but I cannot say for sure because I skipped b9. I thought that one was obvious so I didn't mention it but I suppose I was wrong.

Some old issues that returned:

Adv. Tweaks -> Listview Background Color is broken AGAIN. It will always use Article Color New instead.

The "NEW" Icon cannot be disabled AGAIN. There was an option to remove it and I'd really like to have that back because this little Icon is quite the eye catcher and makes it much harder to actually read headers. Not to mention that it takes up valuable horizontal screen space (you hate horizontal space, don't you ?).

Now, the "new" Supersearch look ...... Why on earth would you remove the 1 click buttons and replace it with an awkward load of bullcrap ? The new look uses a significant amount of horizontal screen space and instead of one click in an easy to reach area you now need two clicks and some mouse travel distance to do the same thing. In my world that is not called an improvement, it's called bad design.

Pretty much all of the more recent UI changes made things worse, not better. It takes a lot more clicks to do the same things and your mouse is training hard for the next mouse olympics marathon competition.

I always was under the impression that you have testers for these things. Apparently you do not or they are simply not doing their job.

I'll skip the 1 year old supersearch issues/problems (this time). You know what I am talking about anyway.

But hey, x-mas theme improved ..... great stuff, gonna put NL on the big TV in the living room for x-mas and save the tree :)

My apologies for the sarcasm but trying to figure out your priorities left me just scratching my head in disbelief.

Happy holidays everyone!
Voyager2k

Re: Not a bug, but a comment

Postby Spiril » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:24 am

doppler wrote:Search history in Supersearch is a definite PLUS!!

Should also cut back on SS engine re-searches.

Q? How large can the history go? I can see multi-searches, tearing through lots of hard drive space, holding results? I can also see a problem coming if history entries don't age and auto-delete. (roll off the list)

You can setup the max # of stored searches, by clicking the 'settings' button on the toolbar below the bookmark view.

doppler wrote:Note:
New view compacting button does little to compact anything on any of the "tab views"

Slight change in vertical height of identification bar below tabs.
Bug???

It changes the vertical space between entries in the listviews. So articles are visually stacked closer together.

doppler wrote:Article view: Shift-Delete any article. CRASH, without end. Must terminate.

Other things.
Deleted articles do not change color to greyed out, when "show all" is ticked.
Articles only loose "NEW" tag. Tough, when new and deleted are same color!

Both fixed in this unofficial forum release :

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl50012.ufc1.exe

This test should also fix the 'Change Download Folder' bug.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.
Spiril
Site Admin

Re: Can I close a tab?

Postby Spiril » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 am

shalom2005 wrote:I'd still like a wider Super Search filter box - why can't it be dragged to the size I want (or at least double what it currently is?)

Check Settings -> Adv.Nerdy Tweaks -> Search Filter Max Pixel Width

shalom2005 wrote:Can we also have an update on the Supersearch backend server upgrade, will this get us to 1150 days?

Non ero groups are already near that retention. Another bump is planned soon.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.
Spiril
Site Admin

Re: Not a bug, but a comment

Postby carloX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 am

Spiril wrote:Both fixed in this unofficial forum release :

http://www.newsleecher.com/nl50012.ufc1.exe

This test should also fix the 'Change Download Folder' bug.

'Change Download Folder' bug is not fixed by nl50012.ufc1.exe.
not at my nl installation at least.
old headers are white again. this is ok now.

another bug, a minor thing:
during groups initialisation the popup window of big groups sometimes looks like this
Image.
a few seconds later it changes and looks like it has to be.
carloX

Postby shalom2005 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Spiril wrote:
shalom2005 wrote:I'd still like a wider Super Search filter box - why can't it be dragged to the size I want (or at least double what it currently is?)

Check Settings -> Adv.Nerdy Tweaks -> Search Filter Max Pixel Width

Wrong! Although you can specify up to 9999, it won't go wider than 200. Can it not be at least double??

BTW Appreciate all the effort to improve NL - I use the program daily and love it :)
Best Regards

Steven from Chigwell, Essex
shalom2005

Postby Spiril » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:33 pm

shalom2005 wrote:Although you can specify up to 9999, it won't go wider than 200. Can it not be at least double??

Just do a quick resize of the NL window after changing the width value, and it should work. If not, try restarting.

The width of the SS result filter and the SS append filter can be set individually by clicking the right-aligned 'edit box' icon on the SS toolbar.

shalom2005 wrote:BTW Appreciate all the effort to improve NL - I use the program daily and love it :)

Nice :) Glad you like it!
Spiril
Site Admin

Postby shalom2005 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks, but playing with the program, it's the 'Result Filter' that I'd like wider. You can specify 50-200 - can this be 50-400??? This to me, is the most powerful filter NL has. Also, can it be moved to where it used to be, to the right of the main search window.

The Post button, is really a complete waste of space and the 'Watchdog' button could be ,moved to the right of the Result Filter.
Best Regards

Steven from Chigwell, Essex
shalom2005

Shutdown when queue is empty

Postby kublai » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:02 pm

whenever I have this option set to shutdown my PC when download is done the program does not exit correctly. It seems like the program crashed and lose all my queue information and supersearch info. When I load up NL again it gives me the application bug error and all my queue info is from the last backup that it made after exit. I have set my backup for every 45 mins and that is not working either.
kublai

Postby Rezinator » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm

>>>Slight change in vertical height of identification bar below tabs.

>>It changes the vertical space between entries in the listviews. So articles >>are visually stacked closer together.

I do hope you add a few more levels of compression (i.e. allow us to have the same font/look that we've had in every beta before this one...and all official releases) The way it is now - even at the largest of the 3 compression levels, there is still way too much space in it. Almost like trying to read a book in 10pt double spaced font :-)

Thanks again!
Rezinator

Re: NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 11

Postby NCFUBAR » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Spiril wrote:Beta Release : NewsLeecher V5.0 Beta 11

Please use this thread to write about the above mentioned version of NewsLeecher.

Release Notes : http://www.newsleecher.com/?id=versionhistory

What bug was fixed? Sure wasn't the repeatative application error problem!
NCFUBAR

Postby TR60 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:05 am

I can't reproduce the exact steps to get this to happen, but sometimes after pressing the CleanUp button on the Repair & Extract tab, the minimise button no longer works. Clicking it just does nothing at all. Pressing the CleanUp button may just be a coincidental, but so far the minimise issue has only occurred after I've pressed CleanUp at least once.

EDIT - The minimise to tray button doesn't work either when this happens, neither does pressing F9.

If I can figure out exactly how to reproduce this issue, I'll post again.
TR60

Previous

Return to Beta Releases