Bring back the poster/group/size toolbar?

Forum to discuss the latest beta releases with other registered NewsLeecher users.
Beta releases are only available to registered NewsLeecher users.

Do you want to bring back the Poster/MinKB/MaxKB/MinDays/MaxDays toolbar?

Yes. (I prefer the old toolbar)
92%
No. (I like the new 'advanced search' menu)
6%
Yes/No (I like the new menu, but it needs history of previous entries)
3%

Total votes : 36

Bring back the poster/group/size toolbar?

Postby spleech » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 am

This is for the new 'advanced search' that has been talked about since 5.0 b2. I used the Poster/MinKB/MaxKB/MinDays/MaxDays toolbar on almost every search, the new menu isn't that bad but a quote from another poster has me wanting the old search back (specifically the part about no history of previous entries).

Bring back the toolbar in articles and ss that shows: Poster/MinKB/MaxKB/MinDays/MaxDays

or at least provide that as an option. The new pop-up window (with no memory of previous entries) is hard to use and I shouldn't have to retype the names of Poster etc that I entered previously.

I didn't see a poll yet and while I used the old toolbar on all searches, others have said they didn't use it much... cast your votes 8)

Since I'm new here and this is my first post, a brief intro:
I've been away from NL and newsgroups for quite awhile and im reading what I can in these forums to get up to speed on NL and its features. I recently went from 3.9/4.0 and after my new trial of 5.0 b1 ran out I updated to 5.0 b3. I saw a few post about the new 'advanced search' menu and didn't see a poll so I decided to be a lurker turn poster.
spleech

Spiril "Temporary" solution

Postby the doctor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Spiril has stated that this is a temporary solution and there will be a button on the toolbar to click for search filters.

In case you missed it you can embed search parameters in the filter text:

If you want to search for "abc", not french, minimum 100,000 KB, you can enter:

abc -french MinKB:100000

Filter text in the search can be:

Group:groupname

Poster:postername

MinDays:(number)

MaxDays:(number)

MinKB:(number)

MaxKB:(number)
the doctor

Postby spleech » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:43 am

Thanks Doc,

After using 5b3 for almost a week now I'm lovin' it! I had so many questions to lookup here on the forums that making the leap from 3.9/4 to 5 caused my brain to error out :P

I'm searching with '-a -b' now and the history also seems to be a total non-issue as well.
spleech

Postby Magsel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 am

Do you know where spiril "states" such things, because I missed this?
A good place would be the News tab in Nl, but hey..... don't mind me.
Magsel

Postby JohnNL » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm

OK, I tried beta 5 but it still is not as easy to use as the toolbar with minkb, poster, etc and drop down arrows/values.

Why not have an F4 option (similar to F3 double click) that brings back the toolbar? ANYTHING, just bring it back!
JohnNL

Postby quickly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:09 pm

why were such helpful functions removed?
with every new version some working feature goes and some new bugs arrive.
without the search toolbar i wont renew.
quickly

Postby Downstream » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 am

quickly wrote:why were such helpful functions removed?
Yeah, I feel cheated too. I long doubted to switch to Usenet Explorer but decided to give NL another try.
Not long after that Spiril started crippling NL :cry:
Instead of putting all that work into a sytem that requires much more clicks to do the same he should have fixed the long standing bug in SS of not being able so seach file names that start with a -

SS needs support for seriously more complex searches
Downstream

Postby Downstream » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 am

quickly wrote:why were such helpful functions removed?
Yeah, I feel cheated too. I long doubted to switch to Usenet Explorer but decided to give NL another try.
Not long after that Spiril started crippling NL :cry:
Instead of putting all that work into a sytem that requires much more clicks to do the same he should have fixed the long standing bug in SS of not being able so seach file names that start with a -

SS needs support for seriously more complex searches
Downstream

Re: Spiril "Temporary" solution

Postby Downstream » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 am

the doctor wrote:Spiril has stated that this is a temporary solution and there will be a button on the toolbar to click for search filters.
I must have missed that quote.
But real issue is that the functionality is gone for some months.
Downstream

Postby quickly » Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm

is the toolbar to filter poster names and size now available in beta 6?
without that i wont renew my subscription.
quickly

Postby Magsel » Mon May 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Nope, it's not back.
I've gotten used to doubletap the F3 button, which is/was his intentention I think.
Magsel

Postby myidisbb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm

having to type maxdays:30 is about as gay as you can get. please bring back the fliter system from versin 3.0 final

with 4 you had some filtering opitions. guess i will be going back to that. screw 5 and their ss tabs
myidisbb

You do not have to type it all

Postby the doctor » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Tap the F3 key twice to bring up the filter entry window.

Put 30 (or what ever) in the entry box for Maximum Article Age and click OK.

If you always use a particular filter, you can recall it by using the filter dropdown arrow.

Increase the number of dropdown items in "Nerdy Tweaks" (the max used to be 99 so mine says 99):

Another example:
the doctor

Postby kel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Just had to kick in my vote for bringing back filter bar.

Missing options that used to exist for searching:

Searching by part of a file name or even just a file extension for items that are part of a collection/grouping.
Poster Excludes - Yeah you can Settings|Group Browsing|Filters:Poster, but most times you need to just filter from a set of results on your active search and not everywhere.
Hide/Show Downloaded
Hide/Show Binary
Hide/Show Non Binary
Hide/Show Incomplete

Local search has really been getting raked over the coals with vanishing features.

SS has also had some features removed but some still work.
Example of a feature that still works on SS, searching by all or part of a filename still works in SS.
Like alt.binaries.freeware, assume your news host has and sends headers inclusive of 2/9/2010.
Go to articles tab, search OpenOffice you'll find the collection for "OpenOffice_3_2". Expand the collection and confirm the existence of part05.rar in the collection.
Next try to search specifically for "OpenOffice_3_2.part05.rar" and notice nothing will show up.
now try searching for ".part05.rar" and again still won't see it.
Go to SS and try the same search for "OpenOffice_3_2.part05.rar" and you'll find the item as expected.
Next try ".part05.rar Group:alt.binaries.freeware" and you'll be able to find the part.
Now I can't find the post but back when 4.0 was in beta I remember reading this searching issue was supposed to be addressed before 4.0 went final. Either it was not addressed, or it was broken again in the 5.x line.
kel

Postby kel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:34 pm

And just another reason why these search features should be improved and restored to local searching.

SuperSearch has been massively missing articles and incomplete on many occasions without having filled in said incomplete header lists, especially the past week for some groups. So we get forced into using Supersearch due to vanishing features and functionality (some of which only now exist in SuperSeacrh) and then Supersearch itself is not maintained and complete. That is just rotten.

Please fix and restore the functionality to local searching.
kel

Next

Return to New Beta Releases