SLOW download speeds

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.

SLOW download speeds

Postby marshallrichard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:44 pm

My usenet provider is astraweb and i have the unlimited plan that is caped out at 1 Mbit/s. I have Cox cable for my interenet service that is caped at 12 Mbit/s I'm currently using the beta version of NewsLeecher and i can only get my download speed up to 140 kb/s MAX. What gives?
marshallrichard

Re: SLOW download speeds

Postby the doctor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm

marshallrichard wrote:My usenet provider is astraweb and i have the unlimited plan that is caped out at 1 Mbit/s. I have Cox cable for my interenet service that is caped at 12 Mbit/s I'm currently using the beta version of NewsLeecher and i can only get my download speed up to 140 kb/s MAX. What gives?

I am using Astraweb and have had no trouble - I have seen on other forums that other poeple have been having problems with Astraweb US SSL (same one I use and have not had any problems).

Change to the EU server and see if your speed increases - there have been reports that the speed is ok using that server. You could also try changing the port you are using (119, 23, 1818 or 8080 SSL = 443 or 563).

Astraweb Servers:

General Server:
news.astraweb.com

European Server:
eu.news.astraweb.com

US Server:
us.news.astraweb.com

Ports:
119, 23, 1818 or 8080

Secure Server:
ssl.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563

ssl-eu.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (European)

ssl-us.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 (US)

May be a problem with Astraweb and some cable services. It is not a problem with NewsLeecher, I am currently downloading and getting 1.75 MB/s on a 20 Mbps connection.
the doctor

Postby sheepshagger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:40 am

sure you are not confusing kb and Kb?

you will only get 1/12 of your internet speed if you are on the speed limited package from astraweb
sheepshagger

Postby the doctor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:44 pm

sheepshagger wrote:sure you are not confusing kb and Kb?

you will only get 1/12 of your internet speed if you are on the speed limited package from astraweb

No not confusing anything - I am on the Astraweb's Unlimited DSL ($96 yearly - special lifetime price - very short time offer, which is no longer available).

Average 1.75 MB/sec (download a 500Mb file in about 4 minutes).

The issue is, that others are having the same speed problem - NOT related to NewsLeecher in any way, shape or form.

And... others have reported the problem going away after switching the port being used or the server being used.

Astraweb offers a special Unlimited DSL (no speed limit) for $11/mo ($1/mo more than the limited package).

Unlimited DSL (no speed limit) is also available now for 3 months at $13/mo ($39 paid every 3 months) - so for just $3 more per month you get the highest speed your connection can handle (use the $11/mo special - its less $).
Last edited by the doctor on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the doctor

Postby sheepshagger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 pm

the doctor wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:sure you are not confusing kb and Kb?

No not confusing anything - I am on the Astraweb's Unlimited DSL ($96 yearly - special lifetime price - very short time offer, which is no longer available).

Average 1.75 MB/sec (download a 500Mb file in about 4 minutes).

The issue is, that others are having the same speed problem - NOT related to NewsLeecher in any way, shape or form.

And... others have reported the problem going away after switching the port being used or the server being used.

Astraweb offered a special Unlimited DSL (no speed limit) for $11/mo ($1/mo more than the limited package) for over a year and a half. If someone failed to take advantage of that special and chose limited speed just save $1 per month they were foolish.

Unlimited DSL (no speed limit) is still available now for 3 months at $13/mo ($39 paid every 3 months) - so for just $3 more per month you get the highest speed your connection can handle.

Yes, you are correct, the 1 Mbit/sec limited speed connection would cause you to have a very slow download speed.

i wasnt refereing to you but the OP, thats why i didnt quote you
sheepshagger

Postby the doctor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:40 pm

sheepshagger wrote:i wasnt refereing to you but the OP, thats why i didnt quote you

Was wondering why you said that - you did not quote marshallrichard either, so thought you were refering to my post (last previous post).
the doctor

Return to Beta Releases