Joined: 17 Aug 2004
|Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:20 am Post subject: HowTo: Configure a news server entry
|How to configure a news server entry.
• Click on the Manager page tab
• To add a new server, click on the Add button.
• To edit a server entry, select the entry you wish and click on the Edit button
• To remove a server entry, select the entry and click on the Delete button
• In the General Settings page, you will set up the news server with the information from your news service provider. NewsLeecher support does not supply this info.
- Server Address: This is the name or IP address of the news server.
- Server Nickname: This is just a name you wish to put on the server entry to be shown within NewsLeecher.
- Port: This is the port to use when connecting. The default port for NNTP (usenet news) is 119. Your news provider may offer alternate ports to get around firewalls or for different internet routing.
- Connections: This is the number of connections (aka bots) to make to the server. Most providers allow you to make multiple connections. Check your provider's website for details.
- Priority: When using multiple server entries, this is the order of which servers to download from.
- Encrypted Server Connection (SSL): This will use SSL to make all connections to the server encrypted. Enabling this will change the port to the default NNTPS port of 563. Be sure to check that your news service provider allows SSL for your account level before enabling this option.
- Server Requires Login: most providers require you to use a username and password when connecting to their servers. Enable this checkbox then enter your username and password.
• Additional Settings page allows you to configure other settings. Normally you will not need to make any changes.
- Use for Group Updates: This setting will enable this server when downloading group headers.
- Use for Article Downloads: This setting will enable this server when downloading articles (aka files)
- Use for XPAT Searching: This allows NewsLeecher to use this server for XPAT searches. Most news providers no longer offer XPAT searches due to the load. Check with your provider for more details.
- Exclude header download...stats: Many providers do not count the header download traffic against your monthly quota. Enable this if this is the case with your news account and the traffic will not be added to the Received column of the server entry.
- Send Group command: Some providers require this setting before downloading. Other providers do not allow this command. If you get an error about the group command when downloading, change this setting.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.
It isn't God I have a problem with. It is his fan club I cannot stand.