minimised to taskbar

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

bloodstone1964

minimised to taskbar

Post by bloodstone1964 »

hi, i was wondering if anyone could help with a problem im having, i installed newsbin a few days ago and all was fine but the other day i clicked to put it on and it minimised to the task bar, there was nothing i could do to bring it back down from the taskbar, it just stayed up there, i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but everytime the same problem, i click to open and it goes up into the task bar and will not come on the screen, it is very frustrating becasuse the software itself seems very good but i have had to uninstall because of this problem, if anyone has any ideas please help so that i can install and begin using the software again

thanks

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

Most likely the window is being displayed off the screen

Click on the taskbar tab for Newsleecher then move your mouse cursor to the middle of your screen
Press alt+space then the M key. Your cursor should change to a 4-way arrow.
Press the down arrow key
Move your mouse and the window should jump to your mouse cursor.
Position the window where you wish but do not have it maximized.
Quit Newsleecher so it saves the window location.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

bloodstone1964

Post by bloodstone1964 »

Thank you very much, i did as you said and now its working again yayyyyyyy!! cheers m8

bloodstone1964

Post by bloodstone1964 »

can anyone help again please, i am having the exact same problem but this time on vista but this time the above trick does not work, anyone got any other ideas please

thanks in advance

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

quit NL, delete the setup.dat configuration file, then when you start NL again, it will have the general options reset to defaults, including widow placement.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Driekes

Post by Driekes »

I found an other solution, similar to the solution above, but a slight change.
I experienced this problem also every 2/3 months. I saved all the corupted .dat files, but now I have a fix without deleting the setup.dat file!

How it works:
Click on the taskbar tab for Newsleecher then move your mouse cursor to the middle of your screen
Press alt+space then the X key. Newsleecher should be maximized again. Then right-click on the taskbar and choose cascade.

There, your screen is normal again! Close newsleecher now, so it saves its position. That should do the trick without a complete reset of the configuration of Newsleecher. I don't know why this positioning goes bad. I know it happens when I double click on the title-bar to maximize the window. Something goes wrong there, but now I found the fix thanks to Smudge!

SimonleBonbon

Post by SimonleBonbon »

I also found a simple solution for the minimize bug without removing setup.dat. It is simular to the one above but since I use a Dutch version of Windows XP, Alt Space - X doesn't work for me. So I do it like this:
  • 1. Start NL maximized (this can be set in the shortcut to NL)
    2. Sort (tile, cascade) the running apps by right-clicking on the taskbar, NL will now show up running in a window.
    3. Close Newsleecher, the new windows position and size are saved.
Done.