error when trying to connect

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

error when trying to connect

Postby mel47 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:20 am

Hi, Can anyone help me please. I have tried to set up newsleecher, following tutorial. I must have done something wrong...or omitted something as I am gettting an error message reading "unable to connect Error 10061 connection refused".

Any suggestions please???
mel47

Postby Smudge » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:40 am

That error means NewsLeecher was unable to make any network connections to the server. This is usually an external problem or other software blocking the connection.

Verify with your provider that their servers are not having problems.

Perhaps your server configuration is corrupted. Delete the server entry from the Manager pane and set up the server entry again.

Try connecting with a different Usenet client, Outlook Express for example. This would narrow the problem down to just NewsLeecher or any Usenet traffic to the server.

Sometimes you have to re-authorize the newsleecher.exe application in your firewall after upgrading or else the firewall thinks it has been changed by a virus so it blocks all traffic.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.
Smudge
Site Admin

Postby HomersDK » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 pm

Had same problem sometimes for the last 2-3 days and now again.
This what i got:
26-01-2007 20:56:02 Unable to connect / authenticate server: Newshosting @ unlimited.newshosting.com (Unable to connect (Error: 10061 - "Connection refused").).

But after changing the port from 7000 to 8000 it works fine and at full speed. :D

Hope it helps.
HomersDK

Postby techfuzz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:10 am

Connection refused means the news server is not accepting connections. That is a NewsHosting problem. The NewsHosting authentication servers may be having issues, but you'll have to check with their support staff.

techfuzz
techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Postby HomersDK » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:44 am

techfuzz wrote:Connection refused means the news server is not accepting connections. That is a NewsHosting problem. The NewsHosting authentication servers may be having issues, but you'll have to check with their support staff.

techfuzz

Ok probably, but when I had port 7000 in newsleecher i got those connection problems and when it managed to connect the speed was going up and down at about 50-90% of my speed.
Just after i changed to port 8000, no problems to connect and i get full download speed all time 100%

So changing port seems to help when newshosting have some problems.

Bye
HomersDK

Postby Smudge » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Well, the point of the different ports is for alternate routes. The route that it was taking to access port 7000 was obviously having problems.

Personally, I have 4 server configurations to Newshosting ports 119, 7000, 8000, 9000 with 2 connections on each. This way if there is a routing issue on the net causing a problem, it would only stop 2 connections instead of all 8.
Please be aware of and use the following pages...
Services Status Page : SuperSearch and Usenet Access server status, retention, server load, indexing time, etc.
Support Request Form : Use this if you have a problem with billing or account status. The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.
Smudge
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support