Newsleecher V8 Beta Release - Timeline

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
PCZ2

Re: Newsleecher V8 Beta Release - Timeline

Post by PCZ2 »

nambit wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:38 pm
hmm... if newsleecher somehow gets us past all this obfuscated stuff in the next release, it'll be worth the wait. Of course, that's a pipe dream of mine, but a man can wish right?!?!
You cant deal with a lot of the spam today because of the lack of Common Expression support.

This means for certain groups NL cant be used.
Well not if you want to load headers and read posts anyways.

Agent and NB pro are OK because you can write filters to match the spam.

The only tools available to you in the current versions of NL are the crosspost filter and the poster filter.
Subject filters are mostly useless because there is no wildcard support.

So when dealing with an obfuscated poster who changes subject and from with every post there is nothing you can do if using NL

If you are very lucky they are cross posting and you can have the crosspost filter set to a low number.
A lot don't crosspost anymore so you are screwed.

There is someone posting now in teevee that could become a major irritant to NL users as they have no way to filter them out.
Lets hope they don't get more active.

Smoking Rabbit

Post by Smoking Rabbit »

I was following some forums here for a while, about new beta version.
However, I'm see it maybe a bit negative for you, and there is no any information about V8, except some screenshots.

After 1,5 year to wait of a new version of NL, that's unbelievable, and I see it coming as a dead born child, as so many other project's of computer programs.
I7-9700K
Windows 10 x64
Samsung 1TB SDD 970 EVO Plus

Tazine04

Post by Tazine04 »

Seeker04 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 pm
Currently using Newsleecher V8 Beta 1 Unofficial Forum Release 03, on a Windows 7, Simulation Regroupement de prêt 32bit system currently, that allows great download speeds via SSL, but has quite a few errors generated.

Any word on when the official Beta 1 will be deployed, or even a Forum Release 04 (FR4) to test? 8-[
So it works?

chipili

Post by chipili »

Things do seem rather quiet on the Beta release front.

I'm really keen for some progress in the SuperLeech area but have to worry if this will ever happen.

I love Newsleecher and do not want to see it fade away.

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 »

I agree...looks like we have the "Final" version. Which for me fully meets my needs, but it's always great to see what's upcoming and trying out new features. It's just a shame that when the announcement that a new beta release will be out in May 2017 (which has now been deleted) that no further updates have been forthcoming. It's really letting down the dedicated customers who are more than happy to drive/test Version 8 even if it has bugs!!
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

kublai

Post by kublai »

What does everyone recommend using now instead of Newsleecher since it's dead?

sam_leech

Post by sam_leech »

[quote=kublai post_id=124856 time=1510600599 user_id=1382]
[/quote]

I used Newsleecher for some years but a few months ago moved on.

With regards Usenet access, I tried Giganews for a month and then went back to an old favourite, Newshosting. Funny thing is, I was with Newshosting for many years before dropping them to come over to Newsleecher... life is a circle! :D

You can still use the Newsleecher program if you wanted to with another Usenet service provider, but I find that Newsleecher has trouble downloading headers from large groups... it just stops and eventually times out. I was hoping that Newsleecher v8 would get past these sorts of issues, but it doesn't look like v8 is going to appear any time soon, even in 'beta' format :cry:

Giganews and Newshosting both have FREE newsgroup reader software. One thing I'd caution against is the Giganews newsreader ... lets try and find words without using expletives... hmm... it's TOTAL crap! :)

Newshosting's FREE newsreader software is not bad actually. It's pretty basic, but actually does the job and has an in-built search function that searches all the groups they support and usually gives fast results.

Another newsreader program I've tried and liked over the years is Newsbin Pro. There's a bit of a learning curve with that one, I'd say, but certainly has just about all the functionality you might ever need for Usenet.

Good luck!

kublai

Post by kublai »

sam_leech wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm
kublai wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:16 pm
I used Newsleecher for some years but a few months ago moved on.

With regards Usenet access, I tried Giganews for a month and then went back to an old favourite, Newshosting. Funny thing is, I was with Newshosting for many years before dropping them to come over to Newsleecher... life is a circle! :D

You can still use the Newsleecher program if you wanted to with another Usenet service provider, but I find that Newsleecher has trouble downloading headers from large groups... it just stops and eventually times out. I was hoping that Newsleecher v8 would get past these sorts of issues, but it doesn't look like v8 is going to appear any time soon, even in 'beta' format :cry:

Giganews and Newshosting both have FREE newsgroup reader software. One thing I'd caution against is the Giganews newsreader ... lets try and find words without using expletives... hmm... it's TOTAL crap! :)

Newshosting's FREE newsreader software is not bad actually. It's pretty basic, but actually does the job and has an in-built search function that searches all the groups they support and usually gives fast results.

Another newsreader program I've tried and liked over the years is Newsbin Pro. There's a bit of a learning curve with that one, I'd say, but certainly has just about all the functionality you might ever need for Usenet.

Good luck!
I find Newsleecher have many problems that I have reported which make it very hard to use nowdays and they are not being addressed. has anyone use altbinz newsreader?

y0himba

Post by y0himba »

Hello! Found this thread searching for V8 news. The last post is from June. Any news of V8?
-Insert cool signature here.

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 »

No!
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

Katchup

Post by Katchup »

sam_leech wrote:
kublai wrote:
I used Newsleecher for some years but a few months ago moved on.....

Good luck!
If we have to look for a usenet server, i can advice one of theses three providers: Giganews, Newshosting and of course UNS Usenet Server. My preference can go for each of them as service are very similar :)

scuba
Site Admin

Post by scuba »

Katchup wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 pm
sam_leech wrote:
kublai wrote:
I used Newsleecher for some years but a few months ago moved on.....

Good luck!
If we have to look for a usenet server, i can advice one of theses three providers: Giganews, Newshosting and of course UNS Usenet Server. My preference can go for each of them as service are very similar :)

newsleeher version 7 is free to use! Just saying... :D
Scuba - NewsLeecher Support Team
The forum is only for NewsLeecher application issues.

Blakeyrat

Post by Blakeyrat »

scuba wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 am
newsleeher version 7 is free to use! Just saying... :D
Yes, Newsleecher 7 is free. And you know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Even though NL is free, I have switched to a different Usenet program which is not free. I hated to do it because I've used NL for a long time. But it is very obvious that NL is dead.

tvr4ever

Post by tvr4ever »

When is version 8 coming ??? I use SSL connection and with NL version 7 final the download speed is ridiculously low compared to a trial version of the competition.

I have a 400 Mbit connection and your competition uses almost full bandwidth, NL doesn't even get close to using half of the bandwidth.

My license comes up for renewal but I feel reluctant to renew when the competition is way ahead of what once was a great piece of software.

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 »

What Competition? Nothing beats NL!
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex