Version 7 beta 2 pausing while saving PERSISTS

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
tjm1100

Version 7 beta 2 pausing while saving PERSISTS

Post by tjm1100 »

New bug. The connection window flashes message saying temporarily pausing while saving articles to disk, even after there is zero disk activity. Occurs after I leave the compter to let it download. Have to end task to recover.

mstam13

Re: Version 7 beta 2 pausing while saving PERSISTS

Post by mstam13 »

I experience the same problem, after downloading a few MB the queue stops, you have to kill the newsleecher task, it won't close clean. Tried the new version from the Version 7 beta 2 - extract folder problems still thread, it has the same problem.

allright

Post by allright »

Same problem here.

carsten242

Post by carsten242 »

Also the same probleme, but not the nl70003.ufr1.exe Version..

allright

Post by allright »

Indeed - much better in nl70003.ufr1.exe Version

quickly

Post by quickly »

allright wrote:Indeed - much better in nl70003.ufr1.exe Version
where can i dl this version?

allright

Post by allright »

quickly wrote:
allright wrote:Indeed - much better in nl70003.ufr1.exe Version
where can i dl this version?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25690#p116162

quickly

Post by quickly »

thanks!

shoek

Post by shoek »

I've seen the same issue in all v7 betas.

tjm1100

Post by tjm1100 »

Today I had to end task when I got home. As soon as I restarted NL it performed all instant leeches before I could disable it. Everytime this happened the temporary pause message re-appeared and I had to end task again. I did this 8-10 times and was never able to start NL into a working state. I finally had to manually disable my network connection to prevent NL from performing the instant leech on start so that I could recover and start NL without locking up.

I have requested this feature before due to instant leech problems. We need an option to delay instant leech by 10-15 seconds on start up so that we can disable it before it locks up NL repeatedly on startup.

tjm1100

Post by tjm1100 »

the persistant temporarily pausing bug appears to be caused by very large files. such as the article with subject 6219D416. it is 500mb.

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox »

Actually, the long filename issue (you should delete those names, posting such things in here is not appropriate) may be caused by you extracting to a directory name containing the set name. Paths and filenames can only add up to a certain total number of characters (around 250 in NTFS), and if it goes past that, the files simply can't be created. Your second example is already 175 characters simply for the set name by itself, so I can easily see you exceeding the 250 character limit, especially if it tries to use that twice in a row.

As for large files... I don't think that's the actual issue. I tried your example and it worked fine, but I have a very fast RAID file system. I suspect the issue is more of a bug relating to detecting situations when the software thinks it should pause, and then simply never exiting that state. Large files will trigger the issue more often, simply because that saturates your disk throughput for longer.

doppler

Post by doppler »

Quick fix, expand your storage.

If you are using a single HD drive in your system. This problem will only get worse. The real solution would be to use 3 HD drives in your system. Drive C, is your booting and system drive. Drive #2 (aka D) would be the destination drive for the articles. Change the destination drive in the settings. If you are using RNE. A third drive is the ticket to performance. That drive should be the extract destination drive.

if you using only 1 drive in your system. The drive is thrashing about trying to handle all the read/write requests. Fragmentation is not much of a problem using NTFS, but it still requires the drive to move around. So fragmenting is still a factor.

So if you are wondering why all the pausing messages are displaying. You should be asking, "Am I using only 1 drive?"

fr@nck

Post by fr@nck »

Hello,

From my point of view it's not a hard drive problem, I've more than 1 drive (SSD...) and the issue remains the same.

My connection is running at 500mb/s and I cannot use it correctly :(

Maybe the issue is due to a bug in the buffering management...

Please help us :idea:

Thank you in advance

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril »

I still haven't been able to trigger the "pausing" dialog myself.

Fr@nck,

What version of NewsLeecher do you use ? Does it happen consistently for you, with certain file sets? Does it change anything if you change the download destination folder to another drive ?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.